Grodziskie - Polish smoked wheat beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting! I can imagine that being great. I like lightly sour beers, although can't call myself a fan of the hardcore sours. Willow bark in the Gratze could be superb as an aroma addition. I love the scent of willow.

That's what I was thinking.
Might need to get on to making some smoked wheat malt then.
Maybe with blackwood smoke to give it a bit of an Australian touch.
Could be a great summer beer with a bbq chicken I reckon.

Not For Horses said:
That's what I was thinking.
Might need to get on to making some smoked wheat malt then.
Maybe with blackwood smoke to give it a bit of an Australian touch.
Could be a great summer beer with a bbq chicken I reckon.
Yum! Yep. I'd either go fruit wood to match the fruitiness of wheat beer or something spicy to match with the clove flavors. But then I'm not the maltster :)

I'm another step closer to a trial run of this stuff.
Smoked some green malt over pepper berry timber this afternoon.
I put the smoked malt into an old hop bag I had handy and oh my the smell of smoke and hops together is amazing.
Can't wait to brew this one.

I made this style recently and it is awesome.
Came out a lighter beer at 3.5 and has a smooth smokey flavour with just a hint of smoking involved in the process.
really enjoyable and a great way to get your mates into smoked ales.

Good Day!
I thought, I'll let myself to link some interesting infos from the Polish Homebrewers Association site. Those were mostly mentioned in article from the very first post above.
So here it is: www.pspd.org.pl/uploads/grodziskie/grodziskie-redivivus-raport-1-eng.pdf

And other well 'documented', approach to brewing this style, on homebrewing scale (recipe & notes):
eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/83-gratzergrodziskie/

Hope that helped somehow :) Cheers!

Thanks heaps for that!
I'd like to check the yeast pitch rate though. The document says 250ml of yeast solid per hL. This seems incredibly low.

winkle said:
Did you brew one Liam? I've been meaning to for a while now since getting a laugh off barclayperkins, but there is only so many oddball beers you can brew a year :wacko:
well not really. my swap beer was partially smoked and had 40% wey dunkel wheat, but I used a neutral yeast and only a single bittering addition. also had some caramunich & RB which darkened it up.

Back