Gro-warm Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
I got hold of a broken unit from a friend of mine and I just located a replacement swich for the unit.

The switch unit and probe are from Tobin electrical components. Part No from John R Turks was TS-040S cost $32.75.

Bit cheaper than the $90 I paid for my new one :(

Oh well :)

Paid $99 for mine :eek: Still, it works, so I'm happy...

Shawn.

Yep paid $90 for mine too :eek:

Hey Linz are the switch and probe all its made of? Could be tempted to make another for the beer fridge :)

Linz said:
I got hold of a broken unit from a friend of mine and I just located a replacement swich for the unit.

The switch unit and probe are from Tobin electrical components. Part No from John R Turks was TS-040S cost $32.75.
Linz

Do you have a web site link...i am interested....

Would like to see some pics if you have some...

Other thing too ....its a double throw switch so you could wire it the other way and hook up an air conditioner/heater to it and control room temp for those in the colder regions during winter

Sorry dont have any pictures...yet

JasonY, Yep thats it.....but having 240V live and exposed could be really DANGEROUS (I know you'll sheild it PROPERLY)

Linz, you got the contact details for the place to order from :)

Thanks

sosman glad to see you here, loved your posts on OCB, a breath of fresh air!

JM

OK...So on the weekend I plugged my unit into the fridge and gave it the run through(plugged inline and twiddled the knob back and forth so it switched the fridge on/off) and it worked OK. But when I left it alone, the fridge just ran down to about 5oC. I've got the details for the supplier and I'll give them a buzz soon and find out why. I fear this switch is a heating controller too....bugger!!!

Hey Linz, I opened up a grow warm the other day and noticed that on the thermostat there are three tabs to which wires are attached to only two. I'm guessing this third tab is to allow for a heating control, are you sure that you hooked up the right ones. Sounds like the way you have it wired it wants to heat up, ie. the temp on thermostat is set at 15oC but the fridge's actual temp is say 8oC, therefore the thermostat is going to switch on but if this is connected to a fridge instead of a heater then it is going to keep cooling and therefore stay on. Maybe 5oC is your lowest possible temp in your fridge. If this sounds completely wrong then please ignore it but it sounds like this might be the problem to me. ???

For my situation I was thinking was that if I can get a thermostat that both heats and cools then I could build the grow warm controller and then wire in the third tab so that I could just place a switch and allow me to heat or cool out of the same plug outlet, ie. plug into a fridge or lamp. Heat or cool at the flick of a switch.

JD

now that's what i am after!! i have search high and low for thermostats and this one is perfect. it now costs $43 +GST bargain!!!

Anyone know of a place in Sydeny I might be able to get one of those Fuji Koki U52M thermostats.

Jovial_Monk said:
sosman glad to see you here, loved your posts on OCB, a breath of fresh air!

JM
Why shucks!!!

And to think I've been biting my tongue. Any way good to see you here Jovial.

Hey anyone who has found out other sources of the Fuji Koki thermostats AS SEEN ON BREWIKI ;) , please get in touch (or edit the Brewiki page directly).

Any other methods that allow punters to brew all year round are welcome too.

sosman, you are a legend!! i picked up one of those Fuji Koki thermostats yesterday from Refrigerator Parts in ringwood, and it works a treat!!

Hey Wardy,

How easy are these lil' babies to installl ????
Can you give me a step by step./..

Cheers
JSB

JSB said:
How easy are these lil' babies to installl ????
Can you give me a step by step./..
JSB - the way I have installed it is to simply replace the existing fridge thermostat. The regular caveats apply - electricity can kill you, even worse you could lose a batch of beer!

You need to find how to pull the thermostat out of your fridge. There should be two wires connected to it (and a capillary tube). There are probably quite a few other wires in there for defrost etc - leave those alone. The Fuji Koki comes with 3 contacts, 1) common, 2) cooling, 3) heating. The sheet of paper that comes with it tells you which is which. You take the thermostat wires and connect between the common and cooling contacts.

You just then mount the thermostat somewhere in the fridge and have the capillary bulb where you want it (it is stainless steel so you could conceivably drop it right in the wort).

You can see a picture of how I mounted it at:
Brewiki temperature control

If I could find a convenient place I would mount the thermostat (dial part) outside the fridge.

Let us know how you go.

wardy said:
sosman, you are a legend!!
Looks like I will need a bigger lunchbox B)

BTW how much did they charge you? Apparently the bloke charges $37 but the old lady charges $47 or something like that.

Did you mention you were using it for home brewing? The dude must be wondering what the sudden rush on Fuji Koki 52M's is caused by.

Back