Gripes about AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
punkin said:
I'd like to think you blokes are not dragging this thread off topic
IMO if the discussion (be it sidetracked or not) is about beer, brewing beer, drinking beer, buying beer, pouring beer, improving beer, sharing beer or anything beer related, it should never be considered 'off-topic.' Believe it or not I frequent this site primarily to discuss beer. Being an extra on Home and Away is just a perk. :D

It' s a non brewing topic in the pub. It's not in a technical area of the brew shed. Deliberate attempts to cause a bad vibe will be viewed differently.

Hence the smiley face! :D

What about having different "levels" of experience/membership and to go up 'levels' you have to earn 'points'? So, for example, we all obviously start off as newbie members, then, in order to 'progress' up the membership levels you need to do certain things like, respond in the new brewers forum for a while and help them before you can move up and be able to post in the 'experienced' brewers section. That way, you encourage members to assist each other with small 'rewards' for doing so which means it's not the same people answering the same new brewer questions all the time and experienced brewers have their own 'area' to go to where they don't get bothered by basic questions and can discuss other more technical matters? My 2c. Off for another HB.

bradsbrew said:
It' s a non brewing topic in the pub. It's not in a technical area of the brew shed. Deliberate attempts to cause a bad vibe will be viewed differently.

So it's just the vibe? We need a vibe rule that covers some.

thevibe.jpg

bradsbrew said:
Moderated on a "vibe"?

No offence bradsbrew, but maybe you should review your position as a moderator. I think sometimes you weild your power a little to recklessly based on personal feeling or opinion.
Not having a go at you or your character, just an observation that sometimes you can be quite inconsistent. Comments like the above, coming from a moderator appears a little standover-ish.
I have been known to be wrong in the past, so happy to go with majority rule, but I think I'll stick to lurking rather than being moderated on a "Vibe"

Yes the term "vibe" was probably the wrong choice. How about "deliberate attempts to cause an argument or belittle members in a non technical thread will be viewed differently"

bradsbrew said:
Yes the term "vibe" was probably the wrong choice. How about "deliberate attempts to cause an argument or belittle members in a non technical thread will be viewed differently"
That seems fair, as long as the view is that of general consensus and not one based on emotion and reaction from an individual and personal level of someone entrusted with power

I suppose that's the point I want to make here.

bradsbrew said:
Out of interest Bradsbrew, was your 'vibe' post aimed at punkin questioning off-topic or me retorting to his quip? If the former, well let's face it, who hasn't had a dig at off-topic sub-branching. If it was aimed at my retort then I would like to point out that I was merely responding in a manner befitting my personality. I incorporated smiley faces to hopefully ensure that it was not taken out of context. I was not trying to incite an argument nor did I think Punkin was. Trust me, self righteous arrogance is something my Dutch/German heritage cannot abide. ;)
I can understand your desire to curb the disgruntled attitudes on this forum, after all it is a business and its primary focus is financial revenue, and the best defense is often a strong offense. However I get the feeling that this tactic is severely detrimental to the health of this site. I understand why all the recent banned members have rejected this change and have been severely irked by it myself, but isn't it time we all took a step back and took a few deep breaths? I haven't been a member of AHB all that long but in that short time its given me all the answers I've needed and for that reason I'm trying to accept the recent 'restructure' out of gratitude towards what AHB's given me. But when is this inquisition likely to subside?
Once more, I'm not 'detrimentally' trying to question moderation and you can delete this post and respond via PM if you'd prefer, I'd just rather keep this discussion aired to all members. I may not be a 'pro member' but I've certainly spent a fair whack of cash through the sites sponsors, therefore I'd like to consider myself an asset to the site. I'd also like to feel that I can post freely (albeit civilly) on this site without retribution and fear of becoming a Stepford Brewer.
That's my gripe.

Touche, Bradsbrew, touche!

I've just about had enough of the civility. Yes the IPA is flowing now.....

Cocko has been abducted by aliens considering the "mushy shit" he is posting - get me a bucket (could it be manopause???)
JYO is trying to be constructive and give brewing advice - true story.
Cam06 is of dutch/german heritage - and as everybody knows if you find a good one, shoot them before they turn bad.
Moderators are mixing yeast strains - where will it end.
Could be a long night ...
Cheers
BBB

I just chortled my IPA back into the glass!
Go easy on Cocko and Jyo, what with all this fuss with the high court trying to overturn new laws its no wonder they're on edge.

Yes it is a long drive back from Canberra for the boys.
Can't wait to see JYO on "I've found the gown"....
Carry on
BBB

Bada Bing Brewery said:
I've just about had enough of the civility. Yes the IPA is flowing now.....

Cocko has been abducted by aliens considering the "mushy shit" he is posting - get me a bucket (could it be manopause???).
Cheers
BBB
Hey mate, hopefully the IPA's are pouring well! I can only wish you and your family a great and safe festive season.

Thanks for your consideration, RE: Aliens, lol... I have not been probed, that I know of.. lol.

Cheers

Cocko said:
Hey mate, hopefully the IPA's are pouring well! I can only wish you and your family a great and safe festive season.

Thanks for your consideration, RE: Aliens, lol... I have not been probed, that I know of.. lol.

Cheers
You know that's where I was going - you have an obvious probing trauma - my thoughts are with you brother.
Enjoy chrissie and get some help after the silly season.

linky - http://www.alienresistance.org/stop-alien-abduction/
Cheers
BBB

Back