Gripes about AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Raja Goomba I said:
No worries beerkravin.

Hoping we can convert more experienced lurkers into contributors by being vigilant and making this a great place to be.
The easiest way to convert lurkers and new brewers is drop the whole thread count under the avatar on each post, that way members who have experience brewing and a lot of knowledge will be listened to, as people won't base the answers on thread count equals knowledge

I tried to offer the correct advice but as I had 1 or 2 posts I obviously didn't know what I was talking about and the advice was ignored, I am not the most knowledgeable brewer in the world but I have been AG for three odd years, K&K on and off for 10 years and distilling for quite a few as well, I think if you showed thread count in users profile dropped it from the forum proper you'd have a lot more willing participants and it would get rid of the posting for the sake of posting to have a who's got the biggest thread count comp,

Dave70 said:
Never mind that, I don't contribute much either. What the hell can I tell the likes of manticle? (other than subjective stuff like his taste in music makes make me want to self harm) Actually, I'd guess about 10% of the members constitute about 100% of the knowledge base, making the rest of us kind of redundant shit kickers and chuckleheads..
Doesn't mean you cant burrow yourself in like a tick and come along for the ride.

But hey, if it's not your bag, so be it.
You and your voyeuristic endeavors are most welcome.
lol, i like your tick analogy
ok, taken on board, i may contribute going forward.

i DO like to watch

Dave70 said:
What the hell can I tell the likes of manticle? (other than subjective stuff like his taste in music makes make me want to self harm)
OT - I agree 100% with this statement. And he's not on his own either, there some weird music out there, and plenty of people who like it.
Back on topic - I've been on here for around 4 years, and have seen a lot of experienced brewers leave. I dont know why they leave, and I dont really care, apart from the fact that this site looses a valuable member. I can remember early on looking at some of manticles posts from when he started brewing, and the help and encouragement that he received. It was those types of posts that gave me the courage to not only post but research before I posted. Yes I was a noob, and now with a couple of hundred all grain batches under my belt, I am still a noob. I dont tell noobs to do a search, and will reply to posts when I have something of use to offer. I do get annoyed with people who continually ask questions, after being directed to relevant sections of the forum that answers the questions, but in saying that, I dont ever comment. Thats the mods job to sort that stuff out.
My biggest gripe on here is - if somebody asks for help, there are normally too many posters who want to bag them out. Quite often the OP is not a noob. Recently there was a post requesting a recipe for a Brown Ale for a bloke who was going to contract brew. The first 4 post were all telling him he was going to fail. Not one recipe???
I can live with all the characters on here, it makes it interesting. Even the weird music thread, as I dont think with out that, I would have heard anything that god dammed awful in my everyday life. What I dont need is some of the rudeness and intolerance that is displayed in some threads.
Too much off topic, not enough beer. I dont care if a beer topic is rehashed a hundred times, we can teach new users about the search function and forum ettiquette without being rude and obnoxious. When i started on here the search fuction was shit. Even today, for new forum users, it doesnt always do what we think it will or produce results that we think we are going to get. If somebody posts in the wrong section, can we just move it, its not that big a deal. It doesnt need 10 people to say its wrong.
Anyway, I'm still here, and still enjoying the place.
Cheers
LB

I think manticle has impeccable taste in music myself. Don't think I've ever disagreed with one of his choices in the 'What are you listening to?' thread.

Not one. Couldn't say that about anyone else.

You might change your mind when you realise he's been drinking your beer.

pcmfisher said:
I think this forum has done pretty well to have run for this long before the rot started to set in considering the pissed while typing effect.

From what I can see, all forums have a limited life span, especially the ones with a particular topic ie beer or fishing, as against generic types like reddit etc.

When they are new there are lots of different ideas being tossed around, everyone is learning and contributing, all is fun.
When is the last time you saw constant shit fighting on a new forum?

Then after a number of years it reaches some sort of invisible critical mass.
Everything has been discussed, many times.
You end up with the same small percentage of a large number of members contributing.
Nothing new comes up.
Knowledgeable members leave or don't post anymore as they have seen it all.
Slanging matches. Bitching. Its always the same.
New members think - WTF is this?
i think this is very true. even though many people move on, there are still lots of people here who offer newer people great help and advice. it's like a circle of life; lion king-esque. it's not bad that it happens. it's just par for the course. we can't keep discussing the same things over and over and it continue to be trail-blazingly new material. doesn't mean it's bad. keep on truckin. the site is great. move along if you're bored or 'over it', or invent a time machine.

manticle said:
I think manticle has impeccable taste in music myself. Don't think I've ever disagreed with one of his choices in the 'What are you listening to?' thread.

I heard he was a self opinionated music critic with a secret desire to be a disco diva. But anyway back on topic,
The concept that we (the users and the forum in general) are just rehashing the same thing over and over, always brings up new ideas, techniques etc. Case in point, the recent 10 min IPA thread led me to try a 30 min boil for an APA. Gotta say I like the beer and the time saved and got me thinking about other parts of my brewday that could either challenge me to new level, and or make my brew days quicker and easier.
Cheers
LB

I'm with LB. I know some members say "what's the use of talking about the same things, ad nauseum?".

But sometimes it does trigger something new. We can never know everything and even experienced brewers don't always agree on the same things (eg. the botulism no-chill debate).

If I'd stuck to Nick's stovetop method or gone onto the classic BIAB method, I'd not have figured out another 'method' of sorts. It's nothing ground-breaking but I've had those who want to trying all grain, but don't want to shell out for an urn, and don't want to do maxi-BIAB or 9L all the time say that it's helped them try-before-you-buy. All that was, was me getting around my non-existent handyman skills and bothering to write about it.

LB - make an APA, now *this* I've gotta see!

manticle said:

Not sure how your going to take this manticle, but Justin Bieber said he was going to retire after his next album.

Pretty sure counseling will be available.

So can we get clarification here. Using the word f@&k, ok in circumstances and moderation. Using the c&@t, flat out no no and warning time.

I accidentally type a lot of swear words and after re-reading my post later I then realise and edit them out. Old habits from ICQ and MSN Chats.

Shaun.

Lord Raja Goomba, intriguing. I just googled your method.

I've been doing AG brewing too, and I don't want to shell out for an urn (which wouldn't fit in this house anyway). The chap on your thread who said your method is 'redundant' would be even more appalled by my method. I mash in one pot, and then sparge through a cheesecloth into another pot! Results aren't too bad, though I need to improve mash efficiency. I like getting down and dirty with the grains - like making bread without a breadmaker, I think you get to know the whole process more intimately this way.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
No clear policy on swearing and C&@t has been used without moderation.

We're not the moral police. It's about context, moderation and treating others with respect.

That's good to hear, i'll be remembering that.

All that was, was me getting around my non-existent handyman skills (Seen the video, he aint joking) and bothering to write about it.

LB - make an APA, now *this* I've gotta see!
Brewed a few lately, been on the lower end of the hop scale.
Sorry for the OT
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
All that was, was me getting around my non-existent handyman skills (Seen the video, he aint joking) and bothering to write about it.
OT- Lol! Just watched one of the vids LRJ. I love it when your young bloke pipes up with "You're very strong." My 2yr old demands to come with me down to the shed now and swing on the taps. She had a bit of trouble controlling the head on my saison but I let her off as she's used to lower carb rates. ( Before I get poo-pooed I believe it's important to teach them about responsible alcohol service)

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I ahve 4 daughters......
I typed young 'bella.' Bloody spellcheck.

:blush:

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Just goes to show, dodgy DIY can produce award winning beer.

I'd like to think you blokes are not dragging this thread off topic

Latest posts

Back