Grimpanda's 2-tier Eco Brewstand Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimpanda

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a 2-tier brewstand - initially for anything up to a double batch in a keggle, but with the room for upscaling in the future. The design is nothing revolutionary, but rather influenced by the fact that I'm working by modifying existing materials rather than designing from scratch. All materials are so far salvaged scrap, and all power used for cutting/grinding and welding has thus far been drawn from an off-the-grid hydroelectric system, making it so far an almost carbon-free project.

The starting materials were an old draftsmans desk salvaged from the scrapyard - I've used it as the basis of the stand and cut and welded it to suit my needs - additional bits of steel have also been salvaged scrap.

The stand will support from L-R an electric 50L HLT, an insulated keggle MLT with domed false bottom (50L) and gas-fired 50L keggle. I'll be adding a march pump for MLT to Keggle transfer duties and will later look into adding the extras for HERMS & recirc cooling.

I'll mostly be documenting things in large, infrequent stages as it tends to be how I work.

Stand1.jpg

Above: Original desk

Stand2.jpg

Above: Front legs removed and replaced with ones of equal height. Top straightened and back edge removed.

Stand3.jpg

Above: 2nd tier and cross supports added. Castors ($5 for 4 from the scrapyard) welded on and given a coat of paint.
50L keg for size comparison.

More to come (hopefully) soon!

looking good, keep up the photo's.

Soooo... this 'build' thread has been a bit of a fail, but I have got the new rig to the stage where it is functional enough to brew with. Going to an electric HLT and pump for liquid transfer has made my brew days pure bliss.

Specs:
- 50L HLT, heating by 2200w stainless steel element and controlled via an ebay temperature controller w/ stainless 1/2" BSP probe mounted through the sight gauge adaptor.
- 50L MLT with stainless domed false bottom and dial thermometer (placed too high... only just sits in the mash for a single batch... poo.)
- 50L kettle, heat by 23-jet mongolian burner (with all but four jets replaced with brass bolts and thread sealant - gets a 26.5L boil going by the time the sparge is done and needs to be regulated down a little to get a nice rolling boil.
- Recirculating & sparging through a homemade copper ring w/ brass compression fitting & stainless quick disconnect (pics to come soon).
- Liquid transfer taken care of by a march pump - stainless quick disconnects from Beerbelly.

Things to do:
- Mount 23-jet mongolian burner to the frame
- Create a bracket for the march pump. I didn't really take this into account with my original 'design', and will probably make something that extends down to near floor-level for the pump to sit on. Currently it's being supported by an old vice, which to be honest is actually working just fine, and I have to say gives it a nice rustic feel... it just makes moving the rig once set up a little interesting :p
- Add HERMS :)

Stand_vice.jpg

Stand4.jpg

That pump mounting is gold !

Latest posts

Back