Greetings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just getting started in the homebrewing world. I'm located in Perth and have started putting all my materials together to build a decent all grain set-up and have my nose buried in brewing theory with most of my spare time at the moment.

I've have been lurking and reading for a month or so now and there's lots of great info on here and it seems like a really great community.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Great to have you mate. Got an idea for your first recipe?

Cheers

I'd really like to do a lager, but everything I read says this is one of the harder ones to do - which worries me on my first go.

Otherwise I'd like to either do a Hefeweizen or possibly a red ale.

It's not necessarily harder to do, it's just easier to f*ck up. Any off flavours in a lager are far more apparent than in an ale. If you're confident in your sanitisation practices though, I say go for it

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty confident in my sanitation actually. Looking forward to giving something a try soon.

Cheers

I'd really like to do a lager, but everything I read says this is one of the harder ones to do - which worries me on my first go.

Otherwise I'd like to either do a Hefeweizen or possibly a red ale.
Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new to all grain brewing too and found a straight forward lager or Kolsch recipe to be relatively easy to brew well if you have temp control for fermentation. It is a great starting point to get familiar with your process and equipment.

My first AG recipe and one I keep brewing is:

95% pilsner malt
5% Vienna malt (or Munich light)
Ella hops at 60 min to 24 IBU
1/2g per litre Ella hops at 15min

Fermentis K-97 dry yeast and ferment at betweem 13 and 15 degC for a Kolsch style.

Or use Fermentis W34/70 and ferment at 12 to 15 degC and it's a lager.

Both take around 2 weeks after kegging to drop clear at ~2degC, if you can wait that long. Not sure what that translates to if you're bottling, but someone here will have the answer.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Welcome mate. I'm very much an observer for the all grain crew and their activities - so always keen to see what's happening with new folks.
I watched a great video with John Palmer on YouTube the other night on all grain. I'm sure you've come across him in your reading. Lots of folks on her have referenced him in the past too.
All the best. Looking forward to reading up!
Cheers

Back