Greetings from Greece

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggaif

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is George and I have been brewing (BIAB) over two years now and I join your forum to get to know your way of making beers. Cheers

Yes you will learn about our culture or lack of and some pretty classical Aussie humour.
It would be very interesting to hear what's happening with craft beer in Greece also.

Hello Giorgos

Welcome to our group, and I think you'll find it interesting and entertaining.

I'm arriving in Greece tomorrow, for a visit to Delphi, and hope to try quite a few nice beers while I'm in your country. Can you suggest some I should seek out? I've heard there are some great beers available, but my time in your country might be too short to try them all :)

Hi all and thank you for your welcome. Evoo4u you should definitely try beers from Septem Brewery, Dark Crops, Delphi, Crazy Donkey and probably more but these are really nice samples of the greek craft breweries. As for what i have been brewing lately I tried a typical dry stout and a twisted one in which I added cranberries and vanilla sticks ( needs adjusting of the quantities). My last brew was a single hop Chinook IPA.

Thanks for the tips. Not sure how much "pub crawl" time I'll have in Athens, but if I can, I'd like to visit Iroon Square & Beertime (just up the road from Monastiriki), the Art Foundation just down the road, and Hops Beer & Burgers on Drakou. If I tell Mrs evoo there's great food and handicrafts to be had at (or near) these fine establishments, I might just be able to swing it...

Your brews sound pretty interesting. It's a pity you're not able to participate in one of our case-swaps. Do you guys (and ladies who brew) have such events?

We recently had a contest in Corfu island for the Corfu brewery and in June we will have our third annual Greek homebrewers contest. The styles to brew are tropical stout and english IPA. A really good brewpub and in the centre of Athens is the Lazy Buldog, If you visit you will also enjoy tasty burgers and ribs etc. with 21 taps of Greek and international breweries.

I'll be back in Athens tomorrow afternoon for our last night in Greece, but might only be able to try Beer Time (Iroon Sq). We were too early in the day for them when we got there last week (lunchtime), so will wait until after 4pm tomorrow.

Tried quite a few brews here, and thought the Septums were real winners! Had some nice darks and a stout too, but can't remember the labels, as they were all in Greek.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Lazy Bulldog. I'll see how time goes after Beertime...

Well, only got to try the 6 x 250ml brew "sampler paddle" at Beertime. But what a treat!

You pick which ones you'd like from the dozen or so on tap. For me, the standout was the Corfu Ale, followed by a dark pilsner (I think it was). The Septum IPA and Septum Pale Ale both tasted much the same, I thought, but very nice all the same. The Wheat beer? Good, but I'm not a huge fan, and the red Ale - my least favourite of the six.

We enjoyed the atmosphere, service, music and people-watching, and a great finish to our visit to Greece. Alas, no more good (well, interesting) beers till we get home...

Latest posts

Back