Greetings from Central Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinez

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,
I've recently moved to Central Coast, NSW and now have a bit more space, so decided to pick back on the hobby that I dropped almost 10 years ago!
Since my last brew I've moved countries a few times so I don't have any of my gear any more. Anxiously awaiting my account being released to post some questions on the equipment sub-forum! :)

I'll probably build a 50L 3V setup.. looking closely at the cheekypeak stuff.

If anyone is in the CC as well, let's schedule a brew day once lockdown opens up!

Cheers,
Martinez

Hey Martinez,

Welcome back to the fold. Hope lockdown isn’t too much of a drag (spare a thought for those of us going into lockdown #6!).

Ask lots of questions, but also spend a bit of time searching the forum as well, chances are it’s been asked before And there’ll be lots of good answers for you.

There’s lots of great options for gear around these days, for every price point. There’s some good single vessel electric options which are very reasonable.

If you’re after 3V stuff keep an eye out for second hand, lots of stuff comes up on here/eBay/gumtree and often much cheaper than new.

For new stuff, cheeky peak is good stuff (I’ve got a mate who’s got a few of their stainless vessels), as is SS Brewtech. If you’re keen on 3V and are willing to pay a bit more, KegKing is stocking Blichmann gear which is probably the best home brew stuff available (along with Speidel/Braumeister) IMHO.

If I were setting up a new 3V system I’d use Blichmann gear, if I was going single vessel I’d get a Braumeister. Yes they are a more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Good luck with the gear hunt!

JD

Thanks for the welcome JD

I ended going with a mix of Cheeky Peak and Keg King.

I got the Intermediate RIMS 3V from Cheeky Peak, but asked for a few modifications
  • Changed HLT and Mashtun to 50L (downsized)
  • Changed boiling kettle to 70L (downsized)
  • Made all electric
  • Upgraded one of the pumps to their "pro kit", for the sight glass etc
  • Changed for a counterflow chiller
In the Keg King side, I got the snub nose 35L fermenter a corny and a 5L keg.

Yesterday I got my hands on a second hand commercial freezer. Something similar to this, but only 2 doors (it's the size of three, as one is for the compressor etc..) it's all SS with double glass on the front, lights and all! I'll use this as my bench to brew on top and if I ever have enough people over for a brewday, can use it to hold our beers as well.

Super excited about how things are shaping up

Nice work. That gear should last you for many years.

To be honest, the things that take average beer to great beer are not how shiny your gear is, but things like impecable sanitisation, yeast health, wort oxygenation, pH and avoiding oxygen exposure after you initial oxygenation.

Check out braukaiser for some great brewing related info, particularly the more sciencey stuff. Best free brewing resource around IMHO.

JD

Hey Martinez, I recently moved to the CC as well. My setup is significantly less advanced, Biab, but have been happy with the beer I've been making. Have only been going for a year or so now.

Would definitely be interested in catching up for a brew day one the lockdowns are eased!

@Narapoia @Martinez
I just posted the next meeting for the Central Coast Brewers on AHB and it will be on 21st Nov at Wyoming, 2-5pm. We will also do the case swap at that meeting. Hope to see you there. PM me for the address.

Latest posts

Back