Greenhorn asking basics advice appreciated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merto

Reaction score
Hoping a few of you legends can help a bloke out.
Just purchased a Morgan's starter kit ..
23ltr , comes with all I need I think and its got some blue mountain Lager in there.
I purchased a s/hand fridge and a Mangrove Jack dual temp controller + Morgan's heat pad .
My questions are ..
1. What temp do you recommend for the fermentation process being a Lager?
2. Once bottled should I put them back in the fridge for controlled conditioning and if so what temp do you recommend?
3. Any speed humps I should keep an eye out for along the way that isnt obvious in the instruction manual ?

Sorry if these are pre school questions.. Any advice would be much appreciated .

Well the yeast is not really a lager yeast and that is why the the instructions read ferment at 20 - 24 degrees which will make it ferment out in a week. Sure it will make beer but it wont taste like a beer that you know of. Recommended temp for a " Feaux Lager yeast " around 18* C. If you decide to go out and purchase a ral lager yeast your temp should be between say 10 -13* C. For all you blokes there this temp range is only a guideline.You could keep your bottles in a the fridgen as long as the temp is constant around 15*C to 18* and out of the light.Sanitation sanitation sanitation and patience. When you think the fermentation is finished give it another week so the yeast can clean up after itself.

Well the yeast is not really a lager yeast and that is why the the instructions read ferment at 20 - 24 degrees which will make it ferment out in a week. Sure it will make beer but it wont taste like a beer that you know of. Recommended temp for a " Feaux Lager yeast " around 18* C. If you decide to go out and purchase a ral lager yeast your temp should be between say 10 -13* C. For all you blokes there this temp range is only a guideline.You could keep your bottles in a the fridgen as long as the temp is constant around 15*C to 18* and out of the light.Sanitation sanitation sanitation and patience. When you think the fermentation is finished give it another week so the yeast can clean up after itself.
Awsome ! Just what i neded to hear . Thanks so much for the advice

Firstly, welcome to the world of home brewing. You've set yourself a difficult first beer to brew. Lagers are super clean, so any brewing faults stand out like the proverbial dog's bollocks. It's much easier to hide brewing faults in a hoppy pale ale for example.

Having said that, it's not difficult if you're methodical and organised. I've brewed some really nice, crisp, clean lagers using kits - the key is patience and lagering. Search on this site and the other one for advice on making a great lager. A good place to start is here https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/vienna-lager-advice-help-required.99288/

I would also throw out the yeast that came with the starter pack. It's likely to have extremely poor viability and will most likely result in an underpitch with resultant problems. For the sake of a few bucks, buy yourself something decent like a Wyeast 2206 or any of the other lager yeasts from forum sponsor @Brewman_ http://www.brewman.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=658 Steve's just down the road a bit from you in Maitland and is super helpful with great advice.

Firstly, welcome to the world of home brewing. You've set yourself a difficult first beer to brew. Lagers are super clean, so any brewing faults stand out like the proverbial dog's bollocks. It's much easier to hide brewing faults in a hoppy pale ale for example.

Having said that, it's not difficult if you're methodical and organised. I've brewed some really nice, crisp, clean lagers using kits - the key is patience and lagering. Search on this site and the other one for advice on making a great lager. A good place to start is here https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/vienna-lager-advice-help-required.99288/

I would also throw out the yeast that came with the starter pack. It's likely to have extremely poor viability and will most likely result in an underpitch with resultant problems. For the sake of a few bucks, buy yourself something decent like a Wyeast 2206 or any of the other lager yeasts from forum sponsor @Brewman_ http://www.brewman.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=658 Steve's just down the road a bit from you in Maitland and is super helpful with great advice.
Awsome thanks so much for the advice , i just popped down to my.local shop and bought a different yeast . Mangrove Jacks Californian lager yeast .. have you heard of this one? Thoughts if so ? I will check out sponsor yeasts just now and maybe order online if that's an option for my next brew . For now ill try what I've got and hopefully I dont mess it up ! Thanks again for the advice

Hi Hermies
Tonight I put down 2 starter kits with a different yeast packet in each to gauge the difference ..
A. Has Magrove Jacks Californian M54.
B. Has Safale US - 05
Both kits were at 1046 when I put them in the fridge and i selected 18c on my temp control module , I'm not sure of the difference between the 2 yeasts you mentioned above so i am only guessing the temp based on your first recommendation.
Can I ask should the temp gauge/sensor be stuck to the kit or the fridge wall ? And should I leave at this temp for the whole ferment process ?
Cheers

Sorry for the late reply . There are a few areas where you can place the probe you just have to find the place that suites you best. My preference is to place the probe against the side wall of the fermenter with a piece of yoga mat or styrofoam over the probe and then I tape it directly to the fermenter. Another way is to place the probe in a glass of water and you could also just place it in the cabinet.it is not a 100% accurate but for such small amounts it still produces a good beer with little to no esthers . Us - 05 is a great yeast it attenuates well and is very clean . I haven't tried the Mangrove Jacks M54 yet but I have used thier lager yeast and is a good Lager yeast that can be fermented at 18* C. Leave the temp at 18* C and when it stops bubbling let it sit for a few days just to let the yeast clean up after itself. Crash chill for 3-4 days to around 1 -2* C then package your beer.

Sorry for the late reply . There are a few areas where you can place the probe you just have to find the place that suites you best. My preference is to place the probe against the side wall of the fermenter with a piece of yoga mat or styrofoam over the probe and then I tape it directly to the fermenter. Another way is to place the probe in a glass of water and you could also just place it in the cabinet.it is not a 100% accurate but for such small amounts it still produces a good beer with little to no esthers . Us - 05 is a great yeast it attenuates well and is very clean . I haven't tried the Mangrove Jacks M54 yet but I have used thier lager yeast and is a good Lager yeast that can be fermented at 18* C. Leave the temp at 18* C and when it stops bubbling let it sit for a few days just to let the yeast clean up after itself. Crash chill for 3-4 days to around 1 -2* C then package your beer.
Great to he
Hi Hermies
I tapped the sensor yo the keg with a thick hand towel to cover so good guess I suppose , the kegs have been bubbling away for around a week now on 18c so ill stick to the plan from here and let you know how it goes , thanks again !

Great to he

Hi Hermies
I tapped the sensor yo the keg with a thick hand towel to cover so good guess I suppose , the kegs have been bubbling away for around a week now on 18c so ill stick to the plan from here and let you know how it goes , thanks again !
Great job keep it up. Welcome to the slippery slope

Hi Merto,
An easy way to use your temp. probe is to get a 2/3 ltr. plastic bottle, fill it with clean water , drill a hole in the cap big enough to allow the probe to pass through, place the bottle in your fridge near your brew. Insert the probe / sensor so that the metal is in the clean water but not over the lead, tape the sensor so it stays in place.

The idea is to have the probe in the 2/3 ltr container measuring the temp of the water which will mirror what is happening with your wort - it won't fluctuate every time you open the door for a look.

Hi Merto,
An easy way to use your temp. probe is to get a 2/3 ltr. plastic bottle, fill it with clean water , drill a hole in the cap big enough to allow the probe to pass through, place the bottle in your fridge near your brew. Insert the probe / sensor so that the metal is in the clean water but not over the lead, tape the sensor so it stays in place.

The idea is to have the probe in the 2/3 ltr container measuring the temp of the water which will mirror what is happening with your wort - it won't fluctuate every time you open the door for a look.
Thats a great idea ! Ill set it up and let ya know how it goes . Thanks man

Thats a great idea ! Ill set it up and let ya know how it goes . Thanks man
Putting a probe in a jar of water at the side of the fermenter doesn't mirror the temperature of the fermenting wort, the wort temperature can be as much 4 degrees C higher due to the exothermic reaction of the fermenting wort, sometimes higher depending on the yeast used.

Hi Metro
How did the beer turn out ?
Pretty good i think , i used all the helpful info from the legends who gave me their advice and it was all smooth sailing . I have them bottled and in a second temp controlled fridge on 18c and they will stay there until September when I decide to drink them. I'll keep yas posted ! Thanks again to all that helped me out . This is a brilliant website !!!

Latest posts

Back