Greene King To Buy Belhaven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
After the recent stories of Green King closing down breweries, it is good to see they are going to buy one. I hope they keep it profitable and producing great beers. I've had some great Belhaven beers.

Beers,
Doc

Belhaven Brewery sale has the taste of success

WHEN I read on the front cover of Monday's News that Belhaven Brewery was to be sold off I feared the worst.

Upon turning to the Financial News supplement and learning that the proposed takeover is by Greene King, however, I was extremely relieved. As Belhaven Chief Executive Stuart Ross said this is an "ideal partnership".

Belhaven and Greene King have many things in common. They are both very old established breweries, they are both independent operators, both are customer-orientated and both have long been committed to the production of good quality real ales.

No doubt there will be those who shall be aghast at the thought of Belhaven being bought over by an English brewery. I would ask them to consider the other two alternatives, either Belhaven being swallowed up by a large and uncaring multinational brewing company, or the brewery closing down altogether. Both of these options are unthinkable.

Besides, this may well see wider distribution of Greene King ales in Scotland and Belhaven beers being more widely distributed in England.

The takeover, therefore, is good news for drinkers on both sides of the Border. Cheers!

I'm not a great fan of Belhaven beers - much too malty for my taste, but I'd hate to see them closed, which I'm sure will be what happens in the long run, in not in the short term.

The only way of safe-guarding Belhaven is for them to stay independent.

I'm with Sean, I'm not a big Belhaven fan but it's still sad to see them take over. They'll do the same as they're doing with Ridleys.

I swear Greene King will start buying up old grandmothers cottages soon.

Latest posts

Back