Green Stuff On Top Of White Foam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniiqueuser

Reaction score
I have posted earlier about possible infection but I lifted the lid on my latest megabrew a few days after pitching the yeast and I noticed dark green patches on top of the lighter coloured foam. These patches were longer than they were thin, say 1-1.5" long and perhaps 0.125-0.250" wide.

My fermenter is a 200l food grade plastic drum with a black lid. There is a seal in a groove in the lid which I have removed (I had a sniff- even after cleaning and santising the back side still smelt 'cheesy') to remove possible sources of bacteria.

I then soaked the lid in neat bleach and washed the drum repeatedly in a bleach/vinegar/water solution. Prior to this (ie previous brews) I used only sodium perc.

I am using multiple Farmland kits (Draught this time, 8 cans total). Yes I can hear the sound of collective puking from here. :icon_vomit:

The last two brews have also been Farmland kits. I have noticed green lumps of slime floating in the beer after pouring a glass or jug. The beer (after several months in the bottles) looks clear until I open it, and I suspect the green lumps are released from the sediment as the bubbles start rising.

I am fairly fastidious about sanitising and I check for left over sediment in bottles, and soak them in a bleach solution if they look a bit suss.

I have read a lot about crap kit yeast, but would these Farmland kits have yeast which is contaminated with yeast that would produce this green crap? I don't think it is bacterial - apart from the green lumps the beer smells and drinks like beer.

Next time I might try a better yeast and see what happens. If it continues it might give the push to these homebrand kits and in the future I will buy something better. They have been good until now, but maybe the quality has dropped.

Whaddya reckon?

got any pictures?

no matter how much you clean the fermenter, the nasties can still get in when you are putting the goop and other bits in and can take hold. Im assuming you didnt add any additional hops that could be showing up as floaties?

hmmm, that cheesy business don't sound right, if you can smell something like that there must be bacteria there. I'm no expert but I would seriously doubt that your problem is coming out of the can or the pkt of yeast.

No hops added.

This floaty problem has only happened in the last 3 brews.

When I get a chance I will take a few pics and post them here (if i can work out how!)

Latest posts

Back