Green St Patricks Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrTbeer

Reaction score
I've been asked by an Irish friend to brew some brew beer for their St Pats party. (March 17th)

Another friend runs a pub/club and has offered green dye.

Question is, do I;
- brew a light coloured lager so it's green throughout.

- brew a stout/porter with a green coloured head.

I've got my extract brews down pat (pardon the pun) and improving on my small (12L) batch AG brews. Do I do 2 small AG's and blend together. Or do 1 light and 1 dark beer. No idea what the weather is doing between now and don't have ferment temp control. (I do have the option of using a wine cellar for ferment @ 15c)

Any general tips on turning a brew green without infections appreciated.

Used to live neat Boston, just dump green food coloring into a pitcher and pour beer in. Do
Not ferment with it ...

OK, so brew the beer and add the dye when serving (or into serving keg?)

Go the Celtics!!!

I've been asked by an Irish friend to brew some brew beer for their St Pats party. (March 17th)

Another friend runs a pub/club and has offered green dye.

Question is, do I;
- brew a light coloured lager so it's green throughout.

- brew a stout/porter with a green coloured head.

I've got my extract brews down pat (pardon the pun) and improving on my small (12L) batch AG brews. Do I do 2 small AG's and blend together. Or do 1 light and 1 dark beer. No idea what the weather is doing between now and don't have ferment temp control. (I do have the option of using a wine cellar for ferment @ 15c)

Any general tips on turning a brew green without infections appreciated.

The "normal" Irish don't do it - its a USA add-on. Dye if you must at serving, green Guinness, saints preserve us!

WARNING .. NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU GO.... YOU ARE GONNA SHIT GREEN ... NO NEED TO PANIC AND GO TO THE ER!!!!

throwing it out there peeps ...

WARNING .. NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU GO.... YOU ARE GONNA SHIT GREEN ... NO NEED TO PANIC AND GO TO THE ER!!!!

yes i second this, your shit will be green the next day

i had a halloween request for green beer, brewed a pilsner, kegged and carbed, then on the party day, tipped some food colouring into the keg until i got the right colour, didnt take much, maybe 1/4 of one of those little bottles for a 19 litre keg

the beer was a great beer, and the flavouring didnt affect the taste, but it did **** with the mind of anyone drinking it, i kept expecting a sweet lime flavour each time i took a sip, mind games

maybe add some licorice to the brew for dark green craps <_<

Spirulina (Dried blue/green algea) is supposed to work very well!

Lots of late hops and dry hops will make it green.

Spirulina (Dried blue/green algea) is supposed to work very well!

I believe Dogfish Head Brewery in the US brewed Green Irish style beer using some sort of algae.

Not sure when or how much is added into the brew process. I'd be interested in giving it a go though.

Last "green" beer i got served on St. Pats day at a local pub i walked away from before paying and left for a better pub.

Though, as others have said. Use at serving, in bottle of glass/jug. Don't do anything else with it.

Latest posts

Back