Green Shed Brewing Co - A Tribute To Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown A

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I have had a change of approach with my brewing in recent months. At the start i was keen to make an exact clone of this beer or that beer, but a few things tend to affect that:
  • I don't have the exact recipes (sneaky brewers);
  • I am not brewing with the exact ingredients (sometimes you have to add Southern Hemisphere hops or use up your grain stock);
  • The "technology" in my 3 x 50l keg set up is nowhere near the sophistication of the gear my favourite brewers use;
  • I am only 12 brews into my home brew career!
Anyway, because of these points I have decided to no longer aim for clone beers, but rather make "tributes" to the many wonderful beers i have tried around the world.

This weekend i decided to make a tribute to Big Sky Brewing Co's Moose Drool Brown Ale. If you haven't tried this beer...get onto it. If you liked it, you might like to try my recipe below, or download the beersmith file i have attached.

http://bigskybrew.com/wp-content/themes/bigskybrewing/library/includes/thumb.php?src=/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/blog-banner-1-of-1.jpg&w=800&h=480

The colour came out nice and dark, the hops were tweaked a bit for what I had in stock, as was the malt...hence it being a tribute!

Cheers
Chris

Batch Size: 20.00
Style: American Brown Ale
Boil Size: 27.22 l
Color: 71.7 EBC
Equipment: New Green Shed Brewing
Bitterness: 32.1 IBUs
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.054
Est FG: 1.014
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.3%

Ingredients
Amount Name
4.54 kg Pale Ale Malt (5.9 EBC)
340.2 g Caramel/Crystal Malt (236.4 EBC)
340.2 g Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)
150.0 g Black (Patent) Malt (1200.0 EBC)
24.0 g Golding US Pellet Type 90 [5.0%] - Boil 60 min
10.0 g Cascade [7.7%] - Boil 30 min
15.0 g Hallertauer Pellet Type 90 [3.9%] - Boil 20 min
35.0 g Williamette Pellet Type 90 [4.8%] - Boil 5 min
1 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)

View attachment moose-drool-brown-ale-aussified.bsmx

Back