Great Simple (strong) Ginger Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
1. Grab a cheap Brigalow Ginger Beer kit.
2. Add 1.5 ltrs (2x750ml) of bundeburg ginger beer cordial + 1.5-2 kgms of brown sugar and mix according to instructions..
3. Add yeast that comes with kit once temp is down to about 25 degrees C
4. Allow to ferment for 5-7 days at 20-26 degrees C. Check FG it should be close to 1.000-1010
5. Once fermentation is complete, Keg and add another 750ml of Bundeburg GB cordial concentrate to brew once fermentation is complete (this will sweeten it up to the bundeburg GB standard), otherwise it will be a bit dry or watery.
Carbonate and drink after 1 to 2 weeks of lagering
I think this brew is about 6-8%

I am drinking it now and it is great!!

Cheers

Always been hanging to try a good ginger beer and this one sounds the goods!
I'd need another keg though, and another tap, and some more...........!

Mmm... Ginger Beer!

I've made a few batches & so far only used the Coopers kit as a base.
I usually add 'a good amount' of fresh ginger & the last 2 batches had some dry ground ginger as well. I simmer the fresh & ground ginger with some raw sugar & stir in the kit at flame out. I've used up to 3kg of raw sugar so far & had FG's around 0.995.

The one problem I've had is with an all sugar batch the lag time till the yeast kicks off is rather long. Adding either some dry malt extract or yeast nutrinet helps a lot.

I find the artificial sweetner taste does fade with some age. I'd like to do a batch without a kit & just boil up the ginger etc. Maybe the next one.....

the artifical sweetner in the kits is the killer for me, it does not agree with me at all, I have been hunting for a great ginger beer all grain kit. I would love to know the bunderburg receipe

I just Kegged a GB today, the few i did try before my Pluto shit itself were very nice.

Morgans GB Kit
500ml Honey
.500 DME
.300 Brown Sugar
.300 Dex
.530 Fresh Grated Ginger

30min Boil
10gm Champagne Yeast

2 weeks to ferment and 2 weeks CC.

It's got a very good 'gingery' bite to it followed up by the honey, a bit girly maybe, if it was for me and not 'er indoors', I'd drop the honey addition by half.

cheers

yard

I just Kegged a GB today, the few i did try before my Pluto shit itself were very nice.

Morgans GB Kit
500ml Honey
.500 DME
.300 Brown Sugar
.300 Dex
.530 Fresh Grated Ginger

30min Boil
10gm Champagne Yeast

2 weeks to ferment and 2 weeks CC.

It's got a very good 'gingery' bite to it followed up by the honey, a bit girly maybe, if it was for me and not 'er indoors', I'd drop the honey addition by half.

cheers

yard
I'm talkin simple dude. That seems like a bit too much effort

the artifical sweetner in the kits is the killer for me, it does not agree with me at all, I have been hunting for a great ginger beer all grain kit. I would love to know the bunderburg receipe

I just cracked my first bottle from the last kit I put down. Tastes good at first but a strong aftertaste, definitely sweetener, making it almost undrinkable. - hopefully it'll fade with age - anyone know if this does fade? If so how long before it is likely to?

The Bundy recipe would be great - if anyone does know anything close to that!!! :chug:

:beer:

microbe

Grumpys market a naturally sweetened ginger beer.

Link

Never actuallty tried it - just eyed if off enviously.

Maybe net time work takes me to Adelaide I will take a trip out to Hahndorf.

No affiliation etc...

Festa.

Not 'all grain' Brissybrew but it has no artificial sweetener and takes the same effort as a K&K.

750 g fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
8 cloves
1 lemon
2kg raw sugar
1 sachet champagne yeast (EC-1118)

Throw ginger in food processor and chop lemon. Boil everything up for 1 hour (not yeast) in 3-4 L water. Cool in ice water then filter into fermenter, top up to 15 L with cold water, pitch yeast.

Works out to be ~7%. Mixed 2:1 with lemonade to get the sweetness up.

When i do this again i will try an ale yeast instead of the fully attenuating champagne yeast.....

Cheers
DrSmurto

Not 'all grain' Brissybrew but it has no artificial sweetener and takes the same effort as a K&K.

750 g fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
8 cloves
1 lemon
2kg raw sugar

Throw ginger in food processor and chop lemon. Boil everything up for 1 hour (not yeast) in 3-4 L water. Cool in ice water then filter into fermenter, top up to 15 L with cold water, pitch yeast.

Works out to be ~7%. Mixed 2:1 with lemonade to get the sweetness up.

When i do this again i will try an ale yeast instead of the fully attenuating champagne yeast.....

Cheers
DrSmurto

Looks like a good recipe. Do you mix the lemonade in the glass, or do you mix it prior to kegging?

Fess.

Mixed in the glass. Adds some sweetness to it as its very dry (due to champagne yeast) and also takes it down to a more manageable 5%! Am going to try and use an low attenuating ale yeast next time to see if some sweetness is left behind.... Very refreshing for summer :beer:

Or i could keep it at 7% and keep mixing it so it goes further!

Cheers
DrSmurto

Mixed in the glass. Adds some sweetness to it as its very dry (due to champagne yeast) and also takes it down to a more manageable 5%! Am going to try and use an low attenuating ale yeast next time to see if some sweetness is left behind.... Very refreshing for summer :beer:

Or i could keep it at 7% and keep mixing it so it goes further!

Cheers
DrSmurto

Maybe some unfermentable lactose would leave sweetness behind??

GMK sings the praises of a few speciality yeasts that leave some sweetness behind (Pinot Noir and mead from memory)

Fess.

Maybe some unfermentable lactose would leave sweetness behind??

GMK sings the praises of a few speciality yeasts that leave some sweetness behind (Pinot Noir and mead from memory)

Fess.

Bottled another 2 batches the weekend before last, 40L in total varying the amount of lactose and lemon. Only added 200ish grams to each batch give or take and tests at bottling werent much sweeter......

Reckon a different yeast is definitely the go, even considering using bakers yeast :blink: since it has such a low attenuation?????

Never really had ginger beer before... but is there any reason why you couldn't steep 250-500g of crystal?

If you are kegging BrissyBrew, then there's an easy fix. What I do is throw the little pack of artificial sweetener away, and sweeten with sugar in the keg by making a sugar syrup of about 250g sugar with a little boiling water and add that to the keg just before filling from the fermenter. I then burp the keg and then swirl it around a bit to mix it and bob's your uncle.

Because the keg is going straight in the fridge, the added sugar doesn't ferment because of the low temps. I've done a couple of brews this way and they've turned out really well.

Been making this one for quite a while

Kit of your choose ie Morgans
1kg of ultrabrew or sugar of your choose

Priming
140 g dextrose
300 ml buderim syrup
5g of freshly grated ginger per bottle , not unlike an aroma hops

leave for at least 6 weeks , matures even better

Hi, I'm new around here (and will get to introducing myself shortly) but I have a question about finings in ginger beers...

My first ginger beer was a Brigalow can (which I've since discovered here are "crap") however, I got fairly good results from it... eventually.

From memory, I did the 900g can, plus 1 kg of sugar, making a only 12 or 13 litre "half"-wort. It tasted awful at the 6 week mark, and still fairly terrible after 12 weeks. I'm too much of a tight-ass to throw anything away, so it went back on the shelf until recently.

I tasted it again at 40 weeks & that bitter aftertaste has all but gone. I have to say it turned out to be a pretty fine ginger beer, except for a high amount of "chunky" brown pieces of sediment; first half of the bottle was pretty clear, bottom pour has these little floaties! (well, unless you pour carefully, of course).

Would finings help with this, or should I rack it off into another wort after a week or two?

Although I've brewed quite a few beers, I have no experience with either using finings or racking into another wort, so treat me like a bit of a newbie here please!

Thanks for any advice - I'm off to fill in my profile and intro myself now ;)

Justin.

G'day Justin

Welcome to the wonderful world of brewing. Ginger beer is my current fave summer brew - i have 40L in the shed! I dont use finings or rack my GBs but see no reason why you couldnt do either. Natrually conditioning in the bottle will always produce some sediment - different yeasts settle differently but i find that if the beer is in the fridge for a few days prior to drinking, the yeast is pretty well stuck to the bottom of the bottle. In saying that, most of my brews get at least a few month sin the bottle which also helps settling.

Tis a fun road ahead of you, much trial and hopefully, as i have found using this site, very few errors!

Cheers and beers
DrSmurto

750 g fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
8 cloves
1 lemon
2kg raw sugar

I tried this recipe, with a few mods. I cut the sugar back to 1kg and added 500g DME. I also steeped 100g of crystal.

Perhaps I shouldn't have played around with it because at pitching the malt overpowered the cinnamon and other subtle flavours.

Anyway, the batch will be wasted as it appears to have been infected (my guess is from a small piece of dirt on the ginger somewhere). I'm a bit bummed out because I was really looking forward to tasting this one.

One comment I will make is that by boiling the ginger for an hour I got a lot of ginger flavour, but not as much aroma as I would have liked. Perhaps split the ginger into two lots - one for a long boil and the second for a shorted boil. Does ginger work like this?

I'm going to give the cordial recipe a try and see how that one ends up.

Benniee

When i did a GB i didn't boil it at all, i had about 100gm's of fresh ginger, peeled it, shredded it then added some boiling water out of the kettle for about 5 mins. Had a great fresh ginger taste.

Latest posts

Back