Great hydrometer find

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I broke my backup hydrometer the other day so I decided to buy 2. I took a chance on this one as it was only $9 and its a cracker. I love it because it measures from 1.000 to 1.060 only and the scale marked on the tube is very large, therefore it appears to be very accurate and helps me with my bad, ageing eyesight. Allso, the first one shipped was broken in the mail so they sent another no questions. Get on it.
http://www.thetechden.com.au/Floating_Thermometer_Sub_Hydrometer_Floating_p/gs-01.htm

not technically $9 as with shipping its more like $17, but thanks for the review regardless

Ya know, that's actually perfect for me. I've been looking for one for FG on high-grav brews. Cheers.

Broke mine (good one with the thermometer in it) yesterday. Went to the lhbs tonight. Closed!. Found one at bigW $10 half the size of normal and only needs a 40ml sample.

That looks a lot easier to read than the "standard" pos. that we, as brewers at home, have available.

Thanks for the link :)

Aren't the graduations 4 points on those, as opposed to 2 points on a "standard" brewers hydrometer?
I mainly use a refractometer but also utilise a hydrometer; I hear you about the eyesight. I made life easier with the purchase of a magnifying glass.

Mardoo said:
Ya know, that's actually perfect for me. I've been looking for one for FG on high-grav brews. Cheers.
1.060 is enough for your high grav beers?

NewtownClown said:
Aren't the graduations 4 points on those, as opposed to 2 points on a "standard" brewers hydrometer?
I mainly use a refractometer but also utilise a hydrometer; I hear you about the eyesight. I made life easier with the purchase of a magnifying glass.
Na they are diffidently 2, just spaced out more as the glass cylinder is a lot smaller but the graduations a twice the size of a std hydro as it only reads from 1.000 to 1.060

Here is a better photo

1.jpg

Kev R said:
Found one at bigW $10 half the size of normal and only needs a 40ml sample.
I've gone back to the Big W Brigalow hydro for FG since I have gotten a refrac

Kev R said:
Broke mine (good one with the thermometer in it) yesterday. Went to the lhbs tonight. Closed!. Found one at bigW $10 half the size of normal and only needs a 40ml sample.
Yep, I only use my 'good' hydrometer once per brew for measuring OG then the good ole' brigalow does the rest... imagine the litres of beer I've saved myself by only having to draw 50ml samples! :)

Probably **** all in the scheme of things. :lol: Depends on how big a sample the other one needs I guess. Mine only needs a 100mL sample, though I could get away with 80 in reality.

I've had one of these Scottish made ones for the last 2 years, best one I've ever owned. I obviously take no notice of the markings that suggest when the beer is finished fermenting though...

hydrometer.png

Where did u get that from Rocker?

Back