Great Australian Beer Festival (GABF) home brew comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fraser_john said:
Geelong Craft Brewers will once again be on-site, with a three tier and BIAB brewing demonstration on the day. Swing past under the grand stand and say hello!
The Grog Cobras will be sharing the big old bar under the Gargan Stand. The live judging of the finalists will be kicking off not long after 1200. It seems like it might be a good destination for home brewers to check out.

Killer Brew said:
Sent 3 entries over, can't be there so hopefully someone updates results here tomorrow. That's if Oz Post managed to get my parcel there within a week .... :unsure:
The finalists will all be judged tomorrow for best beer in each category as well as best in show. I may not be able to get the results published tomorrow as I will be manning our area at the festival and most likely away from my computer for the day. I will have a physical copy of the results on hand and will be around to talk to any of the entrants who come by. Feel free to shoot me an email ([email protected]) on the day to ask how you went. I'd be more than happy to tell you.
I'll bring the judging sheets with me on the day for any entrants who want to pick them up and meet some of the judges and have a chat. I'll email any remaining judging sheets out to their owners in the next day or so.

Black n Tan said:
Look forwarding to catching up John. I will be serving my hefeweizen brewed at little Creatures in the home-brew area at the festival.
Chris and I had a final taste of your brew about an hour ago and it is an absolute ripper.

Killer Brew said:
All good. They contacted me because they had the parcel but no payment because I had paid in to the original bank account they published which turned out to be wrong. Sorted.
The bungle with the bank account details caught a few people out (us included).

What a day! I had a great time and felt like a rockstar serving my hefeweizen (brewed at Little Creatures) :beerbang: . Congrats to the winners and the hospitality of the Little Creatures crew, the Grog Cobras and Geelong Craft Brewers.

I Won't be entering. Did last year and they lost my score sheets. They said that they spilt something on the sheets and some where unreadable. Took a while for them to get back to me. Hopefully the new organisers have there shit together for those who have gone to the effort of entering. Good luck.

Hi bronson,

Sorry that you don't feel like entering. The competition has already ended for this year.

I can assure you that all entrants will receive their score sheets. All of them are in good (enough) condition. I personally hand delivered many of the sheets yesterday at the festival. The rest will be emailed to entrants in the very near future. I must ask that all involved be patient as my scanner is a pretty slow machine and it will take me some time to complete it, but it will happen.

Hopefully you will change your mind on entering next year. We are more than happy for feedback, comments or suggestions for improvement for next year. We want all involved to enjoy the process.

Regards,
Tyrone

All the scores are listed up at www.grogcobras.com

Here is a cut and paste from the site:

Final winners

Champion home brewer
Grant Smith

Champion Lager
Dominic Tyley-Miller (126)

Champion Wheat Beer
John Fraser (121)

Champion Pale Ale
Timothy Ivan Ward (102)

Champion IPA
Grant Smith (127)

Champion Dark Beer
Timothy Ivan Ward (112.5)

Champion Specialty Beer
Deon Smit (107)

Final runners-ups

Lager
2nd Jordan Elwell (96)
3rd John Fraser (93)

Wheat Beer
2nd Dominic Tyley-Miller (111)
2nd Adrian de Leiros (111)

Pale Ale
2nd Sam Harvey (97)
3rd Dominic Tyley Miller (84)

IPA
2nd Scott Hunt (123)
3rd Adam C North
4th Aaron Whitehand

Dark Beer
2nd James Rimmer (112)
3rd John Fraser (73)

Specialty Beer
2nd Dominic Tyley-Miller (98)
3rd Roddy Nash (96)

Non-finalist placings

Wheat Beer
4th Sam Harvey (119)
5th Timothy Ivan Ward (100.5)
6th Gerald Gierer (96)
7th James Rimmer (73.5)

Pale Ale
4th Dean Pierce (95.25)
5th Robert Green (92.5)
6th Grant Smith (91.5)
7th Aaron Whitehand (90.75)
8th Damien Mark Carroll (87.75)
9th Grant Cadwallander (78)
10th John Fraser (75.75)
11th Sean Keneally (53.25)

IPA
5th Damien Mark Carroll (115)
6th Sam Harvey (107)
7th Dan Koorey (105)
8th Dominic Tyley-Miller (100)
9th Adrian de Leiros (91)
10th Deon Smit (85.5)
11th John Fraser (70)
12th Sean Keneally (31)

Dark Beer
4th Aaron Whitehand (100.5)
5th Clayton Morrison (99)

Specialty Beer
4th Sean Keneally (126)
5th Grant Smith (117)
6th James Rimmer (115.5)
7th Damien Mark Carroll (110.25)
8th Clayton Morrison (107.25)
9th Grant Cadwallander (96.75)
10th Leon Douglass (94.5)
11th Adrian de Leiros (82.5)
12th John Fraser (78)
Please note that the beers were judged in two rounds. In the first round the beers were judged and the top three beers in each category were selected to proceed to the final round.
In the final round the beers were judged to a stricter criteria by a panel of three brewery professionals. The scores reported for the finalists are for the second round of judging. This may have resulted in a finalist having a lower score than a non-finalist. All finalists have placed higher than non-finalists regardless of score.

RoneMac said:
All the scores are listed up at www.grogcobras.com

Here is a cut and paste from the site:

Final winners Champion home brewer
Grant Smith

Champion Lager
Dominic Tyley-Miller (126)
Champion Wheat Beer
John Fraser (121)
Champion Pale Ale
Timothy Ivan Ward (102)
Champion IPA
Grant Smith (127)
Champion Dark Beer
Timothy Ivan Ward (112.5)
Champion Specialty Beer
Deon Smit (107)

Final runners-ups Lager
2nd Jordan Elwell (96)
3rd John Fraser (93)
Wheat Beer
2nd Dominic Tyley-Miller (111)
2nd Adrian de Leiros (111)
Pale Ale
2nd Sam Harvey (97)
3rd Dominic Tyley Miller (84)
IPA
2nd Scott Hunt (123)
3rd Adam C North
4th Aaron Whitehand
Dark Beer
2nd James Rimmer (112)
3rd John Fraser (73)
Specialty Beer
2nd Dominic Tyley-Miller (98)
3rd Roddy Nash (96)

Non-finalist placings

Wheat Beer
4th Sam Harvey (119)
5th Timothy Ivan Ward (100.5)
6th Gerald Gierer (96)
7th James Rimmer (73.5)
Pale Ale
4th Dean Pierce (95.25)
5th Robert Green (92.5)
6th Grant Smith (91.5)
7th Aaron Whitehand (90.75)
8th Damien Mark Carroll (87.75)
9th Grant Cadwallander (78)
10th John Fraser (75.75)
11th Sean Keneally (53.25)
IPA
5th Damien Mark Carroll (115)
6th Sam Harvey (107)
7th Dan Koorey (105)
8th Dominic Tyley-Miller (100)
9th Adrian de Leiros (91)
10th Deon Smit (85.5)
11th John Fraser (70)
12th Sean Keneally (31)
Dark Beer
4th Aaron Whitehand (100.5)
5th Clayton Morrison (99)

Specialty Beer
4th Sean Keneally (126)
5th Grant Smith (117)
6th James Rimmer (115.5)
7th Damien Mark Carroll (110.25)
8th Clayton Morrison (107.25)
9th Grant Cadwallander (96.75)
10th Leon Douglass (94.5)
11th Adrian de Leiros (82.5)
12th John Fraser (78)
Please note that the beers were judged in two rounds. In the first round the beers were judged and the top three beers in each category were selected to proceed to the final round.
In the final round the beers were judged to a stricter criteria by a panel of three brewery professionals. The scores reported for the finalists are for the second round of judging. This may have resulted in a finalist having a lower score than a non-finalist. All finalists have placed higher than non-finalists regardless of score.
RoneMac this was a great improvement over the prior years competitions and I congratulate you and your team on its execution, running a comp is never easy.

Well done to all winners and thank you to the Grog Cobras for running the competition in such a professional manner. It was great to be part of and I look forward to participating again next year.

Special congratulations to John from Geelong Craft Brewer's for placing 1st in the Wheat Beer category.

Also, to last year's winner Grant, serving up his Hefeweizen on the day, great beer mate! I hope you enjoyed the day.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

All of the score sheets have been emailed out.

Sorry it took so long. If anybody hasn't received their sheets, please let me know and I will re-send them out.

Hi everyone,

It is with mixed feelings that I am announcing that the organiser's of GABF have decided not to accept the Grog Cobras proposal to organise the home brew competition in 2017.
The club and I had a terrific time running the previous competition on short notice and had already taken much of the entrants feedback into account when planning for 2017, however, this is sadly not to be.
I am unsure of who will be assuming control but I would to thank you all for the kind feedback from our (brief) foray into competition organisation.

Regards,
Tyrone McDonald

Lets hope the new organisers can continue your good work of a well run open and transparent competition.

I'd have liked your post but considering the not so good news.....

cheers

Mike

Sorry to dredge up an old post - I should have given you this feedback ages ago.

The scoring system and the subsequent awarding of points was very confusing.
To state beer A was awarded 90 points and beer B was awarded 75 points, yet beer B was the overall winner after a 2nd round of judging took place is rather strange i my own personal opinion.

Outside of that, the entry process was simple, quick and easy and the communication was spot on between organisers and entrants. Interested to have another go next year :)

slcmorro said:
Sorry to dredge up an old post - I should have given you this feedback ages ago.

The scoring system and the subsequent awarding of points was very confusing.
To state beer A was awarded 90 points and beer B was awarded 75 points, yet beer B was the overall winner after a 2nd round of judging took place is rather strange i my own personal opinion.

Outside of that, the entry process was simple, quick and easy and the communication was spot on between organisers and entrants. Interested to have another go next year :)
We thought that splitting the judging into two rounds was the best way to get live judging on the day without overwhelming the judges. The first round just found our best three and focused on being really encouraging to entrants. The finalist round brought in a fresh panel of judges with a LOT of tasting experience and were instructed to be a lot more critical as everyone there was already a winner. This lead to a few position changes which may have been frustrating for anyone who dropped down a spot,
It is strange, but it was the best way we could think of doing it while engaging the community on the day.

We worked really hard to keep communications open and we were really thankful for feedback. We took a lot on board to make next year's even better, but sadly we will not have the chance to enact them ourselves. Although it will be nice not to be on home brew competition 24 hour Q&A phone service.

Good luck with the brewing.

Back