Great Australian Beer Festival (GABF) home brew comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoneMac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Entries open today for the GABF home brew competition.

For details check it out here.

The winner gets to come along to Little Creatures - Geelong and have a work with one of their brewers to brew their recipe up on the Little Creatures tinker kit. This brew will them be made available for all to try at next year's GABF!

See the website for entry forms. Bottles can be dropped off at Geelong Home Brewing Supplies (164 Bellerine Street, Geelong) or Wallington's WRG (370 Grubb Road, Wallington).

Alternatively they can be mailed to:

Tyrone McDonald & Chris Muggeridge
Little Creatures - Geelong
221 Swanston Street,
Geelong VIC 3220

Cheers,
RoneMac

Excellent RoneMac,

looking forward to another great event, hopefully the competition is growing well. Have quite a few entries for this year.

Looks good. Do judging sheets get returned to the brewer post comp?

Killer Brew said:
Looks good. Do judging sheets get returned to the brewer post comp?
My understanding from prior years is no feedback, no sheets returned, just results at the end of day

I won this last year and recently brewed my winning beer at Little Creatures. It was a great day and they treated me very well; thanks to Chris Muggeridge at LC. As FJ said they do not provide any written feedback, but this year they will be judging the top 5 beers in each category on the day and are happy to meet with the brewers to give feedback. So I guess the message is if you want feedback you should attend GABF.

I entered this a couple of years ago, never again! They will only tell you the winner of each category. You may have come second or third but you will never know. They do not claim to have any BJCP judges and most of the judging is done behind closed doors. There is no transparency.
I asked for the results to be published and they said that they could not do that due to privacy issues, but the rules clearly state that they want to be able to publish any details you give them.
The prize for winning is good but I certainly will not be giving them $10 and 2 bottles of my beer. Seriously, if they cant be bothered publishing results or giving feedback to anybody except the winners of each category then what are they doing with your money?
Good to luck to any of you that are thinking of entering, you will need it (or maybe a pineapple taped to your bottle, as integrity does not seem important to the organisers)
Keep your good beers and enter them in to Melbourne Brewers Beerfest.

Hi NealK,

I'm sorry you have not had a pleasant experience with this competition in the past. In the previous years the competition has been organised by the GABF festival organisers. This year they have reached out to us at the Grog Cobras home brew club. This is the first year we have organised this competition. We left the rules mostly the same as last year however we do intend on greatly increasing the transparency of the competition.

These changes definitely include:

1) Score sheets will be sent back to all competitors.
2) A result table will be made public.
3) The top five beers in each category will be judged live at the festival.
4) Judges will be at the festival to answer questions and give feedback.

In regards to where your money goes, the current projections are that most of it will go to getting trophies made (actually reimbursing the club for getting trophies made) and mailing results back out. Any remaining money will go into our (non-profit) home brew club's funds.

We will not be using BJCP judges, but will be using industry professionals as our judges.

There is no need to bribe us to win. Just brew a good beer and you will be fine.

Unfortunately I do not have access to previous years scores and results so I am unable to help out there, but I am super happy to help out with any questions you may have about the competition.

If you have any questions or feedback please do not hesitate to call me on 0432 902 991 or email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help you out as quickly as I can.

I am happy to hear that the competition has new organisers. Good luck with it.

NealK said:
I entered this a couple of years ago, never again! They will only tell you the winner of each category. You may have come second or third but you will never know. They do not claim to have any BJCP judges and most of the judging is done behind closed doors. There is no transparency.
I asked for the results to be published and they said that they could not do that due to privacy issues, but the rules clearly state that they want to be able to publish any details you give them.
The prize for winning is good but I certainly will not be giving them $10 and 2 bottles of my beer. Seriously, if they cant be bothered publishing results or giving feedback to anybody except the winners of each category then what are they doing with your money?
Good to luck to any of you that are thinking of entering, you will need it (or maybe a pineapple taped to your bottle, as integrity does not seem important to the organisers)
Keep your good beers and enter them in to Melbourne Brewers Beerfest.
Neal I promise I didn't tape a pineapple to my winning bottle. I agree with many things you said but I don't think there is a reason to question the integrity of the organisers. Sounds like things are on the improve on any count.

I got this...

e27c1bd5d3b7ced5160b25ad62fbd1d1.jpg

Geelong Craft Brewers will once again be on-site, with a three tier and BIAB brewing demonstration on the day. Swing past under the grand stand and say hello!

Sent 3 entries over, can't be there so hopefully someone updates results here tomorrow. That's if Oz Post managed to get my parcel there within a week .... :unsure:

Look forwarding to catching up John. I will be serving my hefeweizen brewed at little Creatures in the home-brew area at the festival.

Killer Brew said:
Sent 3 entries over, can't be there so hopefully someone updates results here tomorrow. That's if Oz Post managed to get my parcel there within a week .... :unsure:
only if you sent express probably.. tracking?

Black n Tan said:
Look forwarding to catching up John. I will be serving my hefeweizen brewed at little Creatures in the home-brew area at the festival.
Looking forward to a sip, we will be right next door

Killer Brew said:
Hope they got there by the 29th Jan as that was the deadline.

Black n Tan said:
Hope they got there by the 29th Jan as that was the deadline.
All good. They contacted me because they had the parcel but no payment because I had paid in to the original bank account they published which turned out to be wrong. Sorted.

Back