Gravity stable - benefits of leaving longer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremmerson

Reaction score
I've put down a simple Pale Kit (w Brew Enhancer, rehydrated premium ale yeast to 21 l) and the gravity appears to have reached final gravity of 1012. The enhancer indicated this was FG but I'll confirm over the next couple of days.

This would give me a Sunday bottling run but it's only been down nine days.

Question: if FG has been reached, are there any benefits to leaving it for another week for bottling, or should I move to bottling and work on the next brew? It's tasty already but I'm trying to be patient.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bring the temp down to not quite freezing for 2-3 days, and this will help drop out any suspended matter and make your beer much clearer

Does the clarity add anything in terms of flavour? I don't mind a fuller mouth feel - which I presume would be less if clarified?

Not really, fuller mouth feel will be achieved by adding spec malts or DME

Helps to get less sediment in the bottles. Depends if you like the taste of yeast.

Ah, thanks. So ice down to drop - or bottle with floaties that should settle but also possibly engage in secondary/bottle fermentation?

Leaving in contact with the yeast for a few days can aid yeast reabsorption of certain byproducts, including diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

Material dropping out of suspension (yeast, proteins, hop debris etc) can affect flavour as well as clarity. Clarity is not just cosmetic.

What is the longest you would leave it on the yeast for? How long is too long?

I've left it at 2 deg C for 3-4 weeks and it didn't seem to me to hurt it.

Is there a guideline or rule on how long before it has a negative impact?

Hallze said:
What is the longest you would leave it on the yeast for? How long is too long?

I've left it at 2 deg C for 3-4 weeks and it didn't seem to me to hurt it.

Is there a guideline or rule on how long before it has a negative impact?

Do a search for autolysis. This has been covered in great detail many times before.

Back