Gravity Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosewrx

Reaction score
Hey all.

I am new to brewing and my first brew seems to be done or nearly done.

The currenty gravity reads at 1010, and has been for the past 12 hours, fermentation seems to have nearly stopped.

My concern is that I could not get a great seal on the fermenter, so I am worried that when the preasure drops in the fermenter an infection may occur.

Is it safe to bottle at 1010 if it has been stable for 12 - 24 hours?

The brew started fermenting at ~1050

It is just a Coopers Larger .

Cheers, Moose.

Moose

I wouldn't be too concerned about infection, the alcohol will take care of that. Why not rack it into another barrel & let it stand for another week or maybe cold condition if you have access to a fridge. Your final product will be better with less sediment. If you want to bottle straight away it should be OK if the SG has been consistent for 24-48 hrs.

Good Luck

I don't have another fermenter so I can't transfer the beer to another fermenter.

What is cold conditioning?, bare in mind I am a complete n00b to brewing and only know the simple way of brewing :p

Cheers.
Moose.

Moose,

What another day and take a reading, if its still the same bottle it.
Next brew try racking to another container ( 20 litre plastic jerry can ) and cold condition ( Place in the fridge ) for a couple of weeks and see the difference in the product you have brewed.

Rook

Moosewrx said:
<snip>
What is cold conditioning?, bare in mind I am a complete n00b to brewing and only know the simple way of brewing :p

Cheers.
Moose.
Moose,

Cold conditioning is good for reducing the sediment, lifting the wort of the yeast trub and improving the condition of the beer, before you bottle it. I cold condition all of my lagers and it is almost mandatory for them to go through this before bottling or kegging - the brew also conditions better in bulk than in individual bottles.

Click here... for a good read on secondary conditioning if you want to learn more.

Here is some more info on secondary fermentation versus bottle conditioning.

Lash out and get another fermenter or jerry can...

Cheers,

TL

Back