Gravity Filtration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crd0902

Reaction score
Hey all, few questions. I got my beer filter last night so I have been searching about how to best use it ect and I'm basically siphoning my beer straight from the fermenter through the filter and into my keg. Now when I have siphoned before I think my hose may have been a bit long and kept stopping when it was below the water level so I shortened it. Am I going to have the same problem with gravity filtering, and can I use mayb an air pump in the top of the fermenter to put a bit of pressure in the fermenter or will that ruin my beer. CheersPs I did search but couldn't find much

I gravity feed into the keg as well. A longer line on the outlet is good so it can curl around the bottom of the keg and minimise splashing. Just make sure you bleed it properly otherwise it will just be a sea of bubbles in the filter aerating the beer.

Try elevating the fermenter up higher, maybe on milk crate or blocks to assist in the process. Also CC the beer a few days helps as well.

You certainty don't want to add air to your beer! You could use CO2, however get the fermenter up high enough and gravity works fine.

I use a table, on that table i have 2 milk crates which the fermenter sits, the filter sits on the table and the keg on the floor.
Purge the keg / filter / lines with CO2.

Thanks. I do cc all my beer for at least a few days anyway and I have elevated it quite high, I also curled the siphon but found it better if it was shorter didn't create air like I thought it would which is good. It's hard to disconnect all the gear from the kegerator to do it with co2 I think that's why I was just going to gravity feed. I thought it might get stuck that's why I was thinking of puttin a small air pump in the top

I use a table, on that table i have 2 milk crates which the fermenter sits, the filter sits on the table and the keg on the floor.

Think that's sounds like what I will be doin

Think that's sounds like what I will be doin
That's exactly how I've been doing it, hasn't failed yet. You may need to elevate the filter to the height of the 1st milk crate, depending on how high your table is.

I also connect the line from the filter to the beer-out post which eliminates splashing. This avoids having an extra length of beer line coiled up in the keg.

If you have beer line coming from the filter you can connect that straight to a liquid disconnect and hook that up to the keg. The beer will come out of the filter, down the beer line, then down the kegs dip tube. That's the way I fill my kegs and I highly recommend it.

The filter I have has 12 ml outlets I think. I got some thick tubing from hardware shop will a disconnect fit that

You can get these reducer things that allow you to screw in a John Guest fitting on the outlet that allows you to connect 8mm tubing.

Well filtered my beer last night. Gravity worked a treat. I'm wondering If it went too quick. Siphoned as quick as without the filter. Think I need a smaller line on the out as it was creating a lot of bubbles in the filter as it was draining so fast. Slow it down on the out and it will fill the filter properly. I didn't think it would drain that fast through the filter. Any comments on how fast your filter works. Also did a bit of yeast farming and washing. First time

A longer line on the outlet is good so it can curl around the bottom of the keg and minimise splashing.

I find it best to connect the filter out line to a liquid disconnect (black) and run the beer straight down the dip tube, that way you don't have to open your keg lid and can fill in a safer environment, provided you purged your keg with Co2 beforehand.

Just open the pressure relief valve so the air from the keg can escape while filling.

Florian I'll do that soon but my filter has 12 ml connectors so gotta go get a reducer so can hook up some beer line to a qd

Sorry, have just realised that Mark had already posted that advice, helps to refresh the browser before posting, had that window open since yesterday morning :wacko:

Maybe you could use one of these to get a connection like this one with your hose.

depends on the inner diameter of your hose I guess.
That should also slow your flow down.

Well filtered my beer last night. Gravity worked a treat. I'm wondering If it went too quick. Siphoned as quick as without the filter. Think I need a smaller line on the out as it was creating a lot of bubbles in the filter as it was draining so fast. Slow it down on the out and it will fill the filter properly. I didn't think it would drain that fast through the filter. Any comments on how fast your filter works. Also did a bit of yeast farming and washing. First time

I use 12 mm stainless barbes and 12mm hosing. The bubbles in the filter is causes by, well, bubbles inside the filter. You will have to purge/bleed the air if that happens even though you may of done it to start with. Rule of thumb if you see bubbles, hold the button down until it runs 100% fluid. Speed control is on the fermenter tap :)

I find my drain rate is not too much different form a normal rack. I now slow it down to about half rate with the fermenter tap.

Maybe your top or bottom filter seal was kinked and not sealing correctly. This happened to me once and it went like a rocked and only 1/2 filtered.

Yeah maybe so it doesn't matter if the filter is not full I can just slow it down and let it drizzle through. I thought the filter had to be full. When I tried to purge the air it made it worse and started spitting beer out so I left it

Back