Grand Ridge Natural Blonde Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig maher

Reaction score
I tried the Natural Blonde from Grand Ridge over the weekend and loved it.
I am looking for suggestions for an AG clone as I have not brewed an AG wheat as yet.
I am also culturing the yeast collected from the bottles - has anybody tried re-using this yeast before?

Cheers,

Craig

Looks pretty similar to a Hoegaarden/Belgian Wit style beer, especially with the peel/coriander added.

Not sure about the yeast. Have you emailed the brewery and asked them for more info? If they're not forthcoming with some details then you might want to try a Belgian Wit style recipe with some of the wheat replaced with pilsner malt as a starting point, should be somewhere close to the right ballpark.

Thanks DJR - have just emailed Grand Ridge.

Will wait and see.

Had no luck with the brewery.

Any suggestions for a recipe starting point Les?

Craig, have a look at the Style of the Week topic on Witbier, here. There was a fair amount of discussion on the style and quite a few recipes.

Craig,

I recultured the Natural Blonde yeast with very good results. Sediment from two bottles of NB started fermenting again very quickly when added to a half-litre starter made from some DME.
I used it to make a Wit, and all of the expected Witbier flavours were there, in particular there was a very prominent tartness in the flavour profile, which I think can be attributed to the yeast. The grain bill was as follows:

3kg Pilsner malt
1.9kg Wheat malt
0.5kg Raw wheat
0.1kg steel-cut oats (from health food shop, pre-cooked in water)

Hops:
22g Northern Brewer, (10% AA, 60 minute boil)
30g coriander seed, cracked boiled 10 mins
rind of one orange (white pith removed), dried in low oven for 30 mins, boiled 10 mins.

Good luck with the wheat beer.

Thanks Scrogster,

I found the NB yeast easy to culture also - good to hear someone else has had sucess with it too.

:beer:

Back