Grand Ridge Gippsland Gold Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseH

Reaction score
I've passed over this on the shelves at Dans for a while and finally decided to grab one to try tonight, I really like it! Not highly hopped but its all about the malt. A little sweet maybe, but damn tasty!

Does anyone have a good AG recipe for this?

I'm not that experienced yet developing recipes and picking malt, but I'm getting a big munich hit and some wheat, and maybe a dark crystal? So far I'm thinking something like a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, but with a bit more munich and maybe the dark crystal instead of caramalt?

I heard somewhere they use POR, which I think I got a hint of on the first sip. So maybe POR for bittering and Amarillo late?

From memory, you may also need a bit of Girgar unsalted or a packet of werther's but that may have been reduced with the new brewer.

From memory, you may also need a bit of Girgar unsalted or a packet of werther's but that may have been reduced with the new brewer.

I doubt it, the brewer we met last was eager to move away from that trait, but wasnt given the artistic licence.
I dont want to get into bashing their beer as they have given considerable support to the homebrewing fraternity via beerfest over the years. That is to be commended IMO.

My understanding was that he was doing his best to reduce it where possible but it was considered a house trait in some beers that punters desired so his hands were somewhat tied.

Agree with the brewery bashing thing - not really my game.

To the OP:

Website suggest Tasmanian and NZ hops so amarillo (a US proprietrary hop) doesn't sound likely. Unfortunately it seems difficult to find much more info on malt, hop or yeast choice.

However GR do support Melbourne Brewer's each year with their major competition (Beerfest) and therefore have, as FJ suggests, a decent relationship with the VIC HB community. It's not impossible then that the brewer might be forthcoming with a few hints and tips - enough to wrangle something in the ballpark?

Worth a shot.

[email protected]

Well I cant say I'm an expert at picking diacetyl - my recent attempt at a tripel has diacetyl according to a more experienced mate of mine, but with my in-experienced palate I find it hard to isolate it amongst all the other estery belgian yeast flavors.

Now you mention it there may have been a slight buttery flavor in the GG, but I didn't find it unpleasant or out of place. I'll have to grab some more - for research. :chug:

I'll shoot them an email and see what I can get out of them.

Diacetyl can be fine in small amounts in some beers and your palate is always the best test. Often HB people detect and isolate a flavour and view it as a fault without considering the beer as a whole.

I was recently recommended trying wooded chardonnay as a way of isolating the flavours of diacetyl and as soon as I had one I knew. Varies from butter (both rancid and fresh) to butterscotch and when butterscotch and combined with a strong caramel/crystal malt character, may be hard to detect but of all the 'off flavours I've come across it is still the one I would prefer (when compared to goaty, cheesy, vomity and canned corn anyway).

Gold is a UK style beer according to the website and is meant to be a bit malty/toffee whatever so some diacetyl isn't crazy.

Had a chat with this mob at the Sydney food and wine show. Very friendly bunch. I liked the Yarra Gold too. Upon further questioning of the hop bill I was advised Goldings, Fuggles and Cascade make it up. I also thought they'd done well with the Supershine.

I can safely say that there is no diacetyl problem with the grand ridge beers any more. So probably leave the Werthers out of the recipe!

Back