Grand Ridge Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Was down at one of the local bottle shops today having a look around and I noticed this beer.
It was quite pricey ranging from about $3.50 to $7 a stub. Out of my leauge for the time being.
I visited their website and they apparently are one of the most awarded beers around.
Anyone tried any of their styles? Cant say I have ever heard of them before today. I'll give em a try when I can.
http://www.grand-ridge.com.au/grand_ridge.asp

cheers

Heres my notes:

Gippsland Gold
AR 5/10 AP 3/5 FL 7/10 PA 3/5 OVERALL 12/20
16/10 tap: Hazy amber with off white short head. Not much in the aroma, bit of old floral hops, and a hint of caramel. OK med-thin body. Nice sweet hoppy start with a decent bitter finish. Hop flavour aftertaste. Not a bad PA! 26/10 - Same in the bottle really. Not much difference at all.

Brewers Pilsener
AR 6/10 AP 3/5 FL 5/10 PA 3/5 OVERALL 11/20
25/10 bottle: Pours golden pale with medium beige head. Good retention. Sweet honey aroma with a tiny bit of grassy hops present. Decent medium smooth body. Nice malty start, with a hoppy bitter finish. As mentioned, there must be a consistancy issue because my bottle had really good body and I found it quite pleasant. Reminded me a lot of JS Pils. - Slight buttery flavour emerged as it warmed more

Yarra Valley Gold
AR 7/10 AP 2/5 FL 6/10 PA 3/5 OVERALL 14/20
25/10 bottle: Pours amber with orange sides, slightly hazy. Short lasted small beige head. Crap all lacing too. Nice aroma of sweet malt and floral citrusy hops. Nice medium body, smooth start though slightly thin finish. Sweet hoppy start and mid with a dry bitter finish. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Black & Tan
AR 5/10 AP 3/5 FL 4/10 PA 2/5 OVERALL 9/20
26/10 bottle: Pours clear brown with golden edges. Large beige head with good retention. Choc malt aroma, not much else present. Thin watery mouthfeel, reminded me of softdrink due to the high carbonation. Very bland sweet flavour. Bit of roast in the finish. Lacks everything....

Hatlifter Stout
AR 7/10 AP 3/5 FL 7/10 PA 3/5 OVERALL 14/20
27/10 bottle: Pours very dark clear brown. Small brown-beige head. Sweet toffee aroma with coffee and roast grains present. Smooth soft medium-thin mouthfeel. Sweet start with a dry bitter roast coffee finish and aftertaste. Not bad stuff.

Moonshine
AR 6/10 AP 3/5 FL 7/10 PA 4/5 OVERALL 13/20
27/10 bottle: Pours dark amber with small short lasted head. Sweet toffee/caramel malt nose, with a touch of alcohol present. Very smooth medium-full body. Sweet malty toffee all the way through with a big caramel-chocolate lolly aftertaste. Enough bitter behind it to stop it from being *too* sweet. Tasty stuff

fair enough kook. I can see the gradings. But would you buy it again?

cheers

I got it all in a beer pack. Theres better beers out there for better prices :)

I'd buy the stout again, and if I was in melbourne again I'd drink the gippsland gold and yarra valley gold on tap.

They have great beers IMHO. My favorites are the Moonshine and Blonde very tasty. :)

If you get a chance and go to the Brewery its really nice and they have home brew comps down there as well. ;)

The Pacific Blonde is one of the best Wit beers (Belgian or other) I've tried. I would definitely try this one again (and have).

- Snow

Back