Grand Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobboMC

Reaction score
Over Xmas my kitchen building will be completed and I am planning what to brew in it to celebrate. I've seen in the fancy bottle shop some 'Grand Porter' labelled at 8.5%abv. So that's what I want to make.

So here's the plan, considering I can only mash up to 2 kg and boil 10 litres with my current gear.

Volume 25 litres
1 can Muntons Nut Brown Ale
1 can Muntons Yorkshire Bitter
1 can Coopers Dark Liquid malt
1 kg Brew Enhancer 2
300g Brown Sugar
500g Medium Crystal grain
500g Munich grain
500g Pale Grain
250g Brown grain
50g Fuggles ( 25g @ 10 min, 25 g at 5 min )
50g Goldings ( 20g @ 15 min, 15g @ 10 min, 15g dry )
English Ale yeast X 2
estimated abv - 8.5%

The idea is the kit cans will carry enough bitterness and the added hops are mostly for flavour and aroma.

Has anyone else made a Porter this strong with ale yeast?

Yes it's going to be a big beer, but it's a big celebration after finding rat and cockroach nests and water affected walls behind the old kitchen cupboards and stripping the whole room back to bare timber.

Is this the beer you are thinking of?

http://www.browar-amber.pl/en/products/gra...perial-porter-1

I have never made a porter that strong, and although the porter pictured uses a lager yeast, you will have no problem making a beer this strong with an ale yeast, or any yeast for that matter.

Just make sure you have a good strong pitch, seeing you have indicated that you will use two yeast packets, you seem onto it already.

Grand_Imperial_Porter.JPG

Sure looks like the label. Every time I go to buy one it's out of stock so can't be too bad,
but I still don't have one for the trophy shelf.

Using lager yeast and situated in Poland I'd guess it's more like baltic porter, I've tasted Zywiec at 9.5%
which was quite nice, but left wondering how much of the abv is just from sugar.

I plan to make something purely British as you can see; so whilst being Black at 8% should be a very different animal.

Ended up as a delicious headbanger, around 10%

Thanks, that gives me great optimism that it will be good.

One might suggest that anything with 10% abv made from malt and hops would be delicious.

I plan to bottle in 375ml stubbies to maintain some restraint.

Latest posts

Back