Grand Deluxe 125 GD125

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys been a long while since posts here, but looking to make a decent investment in the next week on a 3 door fridge or 2 door keg fridge. Leaning toward a 3 door for extra space for other non beer related items but not sure. Most kegs I have ready to go is 5 plus always have soda water on tap. My current font is setup for 5 taps. Looking for feedback on which way to go regarding 2 or 3 door and now after reading through this what brand.
Cheers

Hi guys been a long while since posts here, but looking to make a decent investment in the next week on a 3 door fridge or 2 door keg fridge. Leaning toward a 3 door for extra space for other non beer related items but not sure. Most kegs I have ready to go is 5 plus always have soda water on tap. My current font is setup for 5 taps. Looking for feedback on which way to go regarding 2 or 3 door and now after reading through this what brand.
Cheers
Check out our Super Deluxe- it is the way to go.

Check out our Super Deluxe- it is the way to go.
Thanks I had a look at the 2 door B model. The 3 door model is price prohibitive unfortunately. Looks like I am down to deciding between a Super Deluxe 2 door B and a Grand Deluxe 3 door.

I've had my GD125 for 3 years. Zero issues... its a bit noisy, but is sits outside so no drama. Easily fits 4 corny kegs on one side & I use the other side for packaged beer, wine etc.

In terms of price point, my 2-door GD125 was close to what the super deluxe 2-door is going for now.

Thanks I had a look at the 2 door B model. The 3 door model is price prohibitive unfortunately. Looks like I am down to deciding between a Super Deluxe 2 door B and a Grand Deluxe 3 door.
We could do you a good deal on the 3 door coming up now as the new model with integrated drip tray is coming out. Still the same high quality unit which works up to 43 ambient. Send me a PM and I will make you a good offer.

Pretty sure he asked about a 2 door fridge, not two 1 door fridges. Also, pretty certain the KK SD uses Dixell controllers, is rated to 43 ambient temp, and actually publishes their power consumption on their site (260w) where as the series X just states it's '10% more efficient', related to what? The series 4? Pretty sure two fridges, with two compressors would draw a fair bit of power, whether or not that's less than a single GD or SD who knows. I'm not saying that you have a habit of lying about most of the things you claim, but you lie about most of the things you claim. Including your fake reviews that are still up.

As far as the SD is concerned it states 260w which works out to about $2 - $2.50 per day running full time 24hrs a day. It's probably going to be a fair bit less than that, which is not really a huge cost. About $600 a year in electricity if it's running 24hrs a day. As we know they cycle on and off, so expect less than that. What 2 fridges will cost to run, not sure. Don't see how 2x compressors running would be more efficient than 1x compressor but not sure.

Also, not sure what 'more mechanical parts' means in relation to the GD. I would think two fridges with two compressors would be more of a risk that one shits itself over a single unit but who knows.

As for buying two fridges, it would be around $640 per fridge for the series X, which makes it about $1280, as opposed to $1400 for the GD and $1600 for the SD so it's not really that much of a saving.

Pretty sure he asked about a 2 door fridge, not two 1 door fridges. Also, pretty certain the KK SD uses Dixell controllers, is rated to 43 ambient temp, and actually publishes their power consumption on their site (260w) where as the series X just states it's '10% more efficient', related to what? The series 4? Pretty sure two fridges, with two compressors would draw a fair bit of power, whether or not that's less than a single GD or SD who knows. I'm not saying that you have a habit of lying about most of the things you claim, but you lie about most of the things you claim. Including your fake reviews that are still up.

As far as the SD is concerned it states 260w which works out to about $2 - $2.50 per day running full time 24hrs a day. It's probably going to be a fair bit less than that, which is not really a huge cost. About $600 a year in electricity if it's running 24hrs a day. As we know they cycle on and off, so expect less than that. What 2 fridges will cost to run, not sure. Don't see how 2x compressors running would be more efficient than 1x compressor but not sure.

Also, not sure what 'more mechanical parts' means in relation to the GD. I would think two fridges with two compressors would be more of a risk that one shits itself over a single unit but who knows.

As for buying two fridges, it would be around $640 per fridge for the series X, which makes it about $1280, as opposed to $1400 for the GD and $1600 for the SD so it's not really that much of a saving.
I would agree about the efficiency as fridges which dissipate heat through their external walls invariably leak some heat back inside the unit and this is a strongly limiting factor. Means you need to keep the sides clear and as the ambient temperature increases the efficiency drops off quite a lot. Really depends on what you are looking for. If you want something that looks super quality and is then the SD range will give the high quality stainless steel finish and it operates happily to 43 Degrees C ambient which the other things mentioned here will not run well at. With the hotter summers that we are experiencing that is something to be mindful about. Whilst a lot of people are happy with our Kegmaster Series 4 because it is what fits their budget you will find those who are willing to spend a bit more love the SD range because it is so efficient at quickly chilling kegs. Of course they use the best Controllers also. As far as the cleaning of the fan is concerned that is a 5 minute job every six months. These things chill super quick so they use a bit more power during the initial chill down but once they reach temperature they will actually be more efficient than the Kegmaster (btw Kegmaster is a trade mark belonging to Keg King and no one else). If you want to stick two Kegmasters side by side then you need a decent gap between them. The only advantage might be redundancy but there is no efficiency gain.

They literally state on their website that it draws 260w while you refuse to publish consumption figures. Not sure what else to say about it.

@KegLand-com-au There's no point in more bs, put a meter on your fridge then post the spec's on your website the same as KK have done, just make sure it's accurate because people WILL return them, and there's laws regarding misleading advertising.
Surely there's someone here with a series X and a power meter? How about it folks, let's get some unbiased info.

I am currently running a huge 2 door glass front Skope commercial unit. So pretty sure that any of these options will be more efficient than what I currently have. And pretty sure they will be more quiet as well. Just with the circulation fan running whick it does all the time is nearly 60db. I didn't mean my question to stir up anyone by the way just was looking for opinions. I have the room for 3 door but not sure what way to go just yet. I have to decide before I can finish building my outdoor kitchen.

Attachments

• 15985719722076613891052723818595.jpg
    15985719722076613891052723818595.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 25
@KegLand-com-au There's no point in more bs, put a meter on your fridge then post the spec's on your website the same as KK have done, just make sure it's accurate because people WILL return them, and there's laws regarding misleading advertising.
Surely there's someone here with a series X and a power meter? How about it folks, let's get some unbiased info.
I think it's a waste of time asking them to play fair, they make the rules up as they go along, if they haven't got it then they will rubbish it. Similar thing with the Junior PET fermenter, can't use PET as a keg, PET is permeable. It pays to remember how they advertise their PET Allrounder, from their website.

Impermeable
The PET plastic is not permeable like some other fermenters made from PP or HDPE. The fermenter wall is a much better gas barrier keeping your product fresher for longer.

And from their promotional video for FermZilla Allrounder- Its like a keg and fermenter combined.
1598576141929.png

What they claim should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ideleted post was quoted here.

Firstly let us get some clearer thinking into this situation. What do you mean by "draw"? Lets say current which "draw" infers. There is no doubt if you measure the current drawn by a larger compressor that it will be bigger. However that is the sort of simplistic approach that someone without a proper engineering background comes up with to justify something which is quite erroneous. What you really need to think about is how much power will be needed to cool a given amount of liquid (beer). So it depends more on how long the compressor needs to run to cool that given amount. So what is "drawn" becomes quite irrelevant when we are talking about efficiency. A larger compressor with heat being pushed out from its fan assisted condensor coupled with a better insulated cabinet is much more efficient than what you are proffering.

Using the walls of the cabinet to dissipate heat is low cost and works for domestic fridges up to a point. Kitchen fridges do not have large amounts of liquid in them usually and so there is no great need to rapidly chill 60-80 litres of beer. In a beer fridge however that is a more common requirement. Basically the system sucks out the heat and offers it to the world on its external walls. So whilst there is insulation which can be quite good, some of the heat will travel through it back inside the fridge. The hotter the walls get the more energy ends up going back inside the fridge. So a fair bit of the time the compressor is running goes towards removing some of that heat that it had already pushed out, yet again. The system is chasing its own tail. With good design such a system is not too bad but it does not eliminate this source of inefficiency. Further the hotter the environment where the fridge is the less heat can be removed in a given time. That is just basic physics.

So suddenly the lower current draw is required for a much longer time to get the job done. Up goes the electricity cost? Up goes the wear on the compressor. This gets worse when as many people do, their fridge gets built in under a bench with not much space open next to the walls. It means you cannot butt two of these units together as the heat between those walls is going to become extremely high. The poor little compressor in built in situations always ends up working a lot more.

With a unit like an SD a proper evaporator coil absorbs the heat from inside the fridge and it is aided by a small fan to do this. So we are taking heat out by the means of convection/absorption which is much quicker and more efficient than just absorption. The heat is passed to the external world by a condensor coil (looks a bit like a small car radiator) with the help of a fan. The amount of heat able to be moved this way is substantially higher and quicker. End result is that it is much quicker to chill down the beer and definitely more efficient. The compressor does not have to work so hard and it works less frequently especially when it is at the desired temperature. Because the insulation in the SD is thicker and better, the larger fridge has every advantage over the small one and is in fact better value. If you compare the two different types doing the same job then the SD will come out a long way ahead in terms of power consumption and service - you don't have to wait all day for your keg to chill down.

Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer. The gimmick idea of doing this side by side testing is really not necessary. Just ask any fridge technician and they will quickly let you know how having a proper fan forced condensor is way ahead. Means less trouble with under bench building in too. So yes we completely disagree but trust me the science works and BS does not. Whilst we are talking about BS it would be appreciated if Kegland could stop putting our trademark "Kegmaster" on your fridge packaging too.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ What CEO said ^
Plus to be completely fair the test should be run at lets say 35/40 deg's, not an unreasonable temp for many parts of Australia in summer, and 20 deg's for completeness, with a couple of ambient temp kegs inside, checking to see how long it takes to get to serving temp and if indeed at 35/40 deg's ambient the fridge can actually maintain serving temp, this would give a more complete view of the picture, and better forecast the actual performance/cost of running such a device.
Marketing spiel aside which we expect to be 90% bs, unfortunately KL have demonstrated a willingness to be rather economical with the truth, typified by their false review web site antics, the whole PET is great until someone else sells it, then it's rubbish backflip, and this latest attempt at rubbishing a competitors product with nothing more than a personal opinion that "theirs is superior", I'm honestly bewildered by some of their strategies. Aggressive marketing is one thing, blatant deceit is something else entirely, and the assumption that most home brewers are numpties and will fall for their propaganda is almost beyond belief, a quick look at the threads here reveals a diverse group of very knowledgeable people.
I would suggest they invest energy into real world testing and refining their products before rushing them to market, rather than spending it on futile "mines bigger than yours" exchanges, and then hopefully we would see the end of v.1, v.2, v.3.0, v3.1 I'm all for product improvement but make sure that v.1 is at least fit for purpose, it leaves a very bad taste to buy a product in good faith assuming adequate development has been done only to find it superseded 6 months later by a new improved model because the old one really wasn't that good, and prone to burning out/blowing up/leaking, whatever.

I think fair points from all involved. It also boggles my mind that they would rubbish a product that they themselves stock. Why would they rubbish a GD when they still sell them?

Are they telling everyone who bought a GD through them stupid? Really strange marketing behaviour.

In fairness to KL the two fridges side by side was probably a genuine attempt to be helpful, but when you burry it in other bullshit while making unsubstantiated claims, it loses it's credibility.

It doesn't extend to KL just rubbishing KK though, I've returned products to KL and told them I purchased replacements from Grain and Grape which they then tried to rubbish.

KK may post under fake accounts and do other stupid things, but at least they treat their customers right and don't make retarded claims. Newton would be spinning in his grave. Or two side by side graves. Or what ever.

They literally state on their website that it draws 260w while you refuse to publish consumption figures. Not sure what else to say about it.

The wattage rating on the fridge is stated on the back of the series X. With that said this number really has nothing to do with it and you need to test the fridge itself. One fridge may operate with a duty cycle of 20% and the other at 90%. Even when the compressor is running the way the fridge is designed will vary the power consumption. For instance if the refrigerant system is operating with significant head pressure you will see a higher current draw. Looking at just the maximum power rating really doesn't give much information about the overall electrical consumption. I wish it was that simple.

Looking at just the maximum power rating really doesn't give much information about the overall electrical consumption. I wish it was that simple.
You are correct, hence my previous comment, and the comment from KK; predictable that you chose to ignore them.
When you get to the bottom of the hole, stop digging, it's futile.

Pretty sure the homebrew market is big enough for the both of you boys. Relax!! people will spend money as they see fit. I tell you guys what though all this negative talk on public forums leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Imagine you do your best to advertise your brand and spend marketing dollars to promote yourself only to come on here and ruin yourselves driving down the brand integrity. Both sides. This forum is littered with it.

Back