Grains To Add To Kit Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Can anyone help with what common steeped grains are used with kits (lagers draught pils etc (light coloured beers) and there effect)

I am used to the AG so never tried kits + steeped grains

will it add some life / freshness to the beer?

Any of the lighter coloured crystals will work. I've used carahell (28 EBC), TF caramalt (30EBC) and JW caramalt (50EBC) and have been very happy with the improvement they make to the kits.

IMO, steeped grains add body and make the beer a much smoother drop. 25-50g of additional hops will make a big difference too.

Steep 250-500g at around 68C for 30 minutes before mixing with kit, extract etc.

as i want to keep it light in colour (aussie lager) i will try some carapils, I also dont want to much body - aussie lag is light body

so i will keep it low, and the style is low hops but i say pffft to that i will have a swag of flavour and aroma .... cant have a beer with low malt, low bitterness, low hops = aussie mega swill crap lager :)

thanks i will have a look at the colour effects via promash

If you want to negate the extra body that will be added by using crystal, you could try substituting dextrose for some of the DME/LME you were planning to use.

Why use any sugars at all? Just make a minimash accounting for 50% of the target OG, boil for 20 mins with flavour and aroma hop additions and you've made a kit minimash.
I've done that with decent results, several times.

no mashing alowed for this beer style in Vic :(

hence steeping grain is the limit

anyway, if it turns out average i will serve it up to mates at the bar opening :) anf blow ins that always ask for a beer (hard to say no when i always have one in my hand hehe)

Ben said:
no mashing alowed for this beer style in Vic :(

hence steeping grain is the limit
How exactly do they define steeping? I mean if you steeped the grain at 66c for 30 mins, would that be breaking the rules..

Latest posts

Back