Grains In Darwin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo2001

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know of a home brew shop in Darwin or surrounding area or a good online shop with free postage? As far as I know there is only OzBrew in NT.

Hey Sammo, there is only ozbrew in the NT and they have a small range. I have been going through craftbrewer for my grain they have been really helpful (no affiliation), there are a number of places you can order through online but I'm yet to find anyone who will give free postage.

cheers

Both CB and gryphon brewing are really good with their prices and postage.

Never had to mail order from g&g so can't comment.

Okay, thanks for that. I have had a look at a few places online but by the time you add postage it's cheaper to just buy locally except for the fact that the range up here is very small as you say and nothing has numbers or anything on them.

Gryphonbrewing.com.au

Perth. I think their 5 kilo flat rate sat hel is great. 10 bux from memory.

I'm in Darwin, I also use Craftbrewer for grain, they've been awesome so far. It sucks having to pay as much postage as what the grain costs but it still works out cheaper than buying cartons of megaswill up here.. $55 for a carton of VB....... :eek: yea right

Or something thats made from beer...

Hey Mud Gecko, what yeasts, temperature and styles do you brew up here? I'm from NZ so am not used to brewing at these high temps. I just did an ozbrew kit (last one before grain) and it did come with some higher temp yeast but not sure what it is. Also I've just been closing off a room and setting the AC to 26C for the primary and then I'll condition at room temp (26-28) for a few weeks. Is that kind of on par with how you brew or are there some NT secrets I should know about.

Might end up cheaper getting a fridge and temperature controller than running AC 24/7 sammo

Hey Mud Gecko, what yeasts, temperature and styles do you brew up here? I'm from NZ so am not used to brewing at these high temps. I just did an ozbrew kit (last one before grain) and it did come with some higher temp yeast but not sure what it is. Also I've just been closing off a room and setting the AC to 26C for the primary and then I'll condition at room temp (26-28) for a few weeks. Is that kind of on par with how you brew or are there some NT secrets I should know about.

Hi Sammo, I also used to do the air-con thing but it really doesnt quite cut it. If ya want to brew some decent beer you'll need to get a temp controlled fridge. I don't profess to be a guru by any means as I've only brewed 3 AG beers so far but they have all turned out great compared to ozbrew k&k's :icon_vomit: I've been doing APA's using NickJD's stovetop method and using US-05 yeast fermenting @ 18*C :drinks: Getting ready to throw my 3rd batch into my new kegs, i just need to get some CO2...

Hmm gettting a fridge isn't really an option for me so might do the AC thing and put a wet towel around the fermenter. That should get the temp down a fair bit.

Hi sammo,

Keep an eye out in the paper on thursday in flea market or facebook, can get some good cheap fridges. Ozbrew are sometimes handy to get yeast but as for grains, forget it. I usually through craftbrewer and have had a 25kg bag trucked up for free :ph34r:

If you can, try to get a fridge to keep your temps down.

Hmm gettting a fridge isn't really an option for me so might do the AC thing and put a wet towel around the fermenter. That should get the temp down a fair bit.

Wrap it in a towel and place some frozen water bottles (1.25l coke bottles are good cause they stand up nice) around it, then aim a small fan at the fermenter. Does the trick in the heat, and I've had success in humid conditions. Far cheaper than running the AC at fermenting temps. You won't get to lager temps, but you should be able to maintain 20ish degrees no worries.

JD

For the cost of running your air-con for a month or two you could easily buy a fridge, temp controller and all the bits and pieces to get up and runnning. Costs bugger all to run the fridge as it's only going to be keeping temps around 18*C (good temp for red wine too ;) ).

Evening

I am an AGer out in Jabiru. Greyhound has been my best option so far but I would love to get a whole heap more grain up if had the chance. Freight is a killer!

But everyone knows its not what you know but who, and this is epesscially true of the NT. So I am putting the call out if anyone knows a truckie doing the Brisbane Darwin route and we organise a pallet of the good stuff in a bulk buy??

may be we could get a sign up on a hostel down in Brissy for backpackers to bring up grain on there way in exchange for a hot shower and a meal not consisting of two minute noodles? Tis the season after all... What about the grey nomads (no offence to elderly caravan owners) but there is a fleet of them charging towards Darwin right now. Is there a way of exploiting this convoy? Could we send a message along them via UHF back to the start of the chain to grab a few bags on the way up?

Box and car trailers are massively over priced in Darwin. I would happily buy a car trailer, Shove a pallet of grain on it, unload it in darwin then flog off the trailer for twice as much as I payed for it and pay for some ones petrol if they were heading this way and willing to drag it up. (this is no joke, it's very feasible - infact I could almost pay for the grain also)

Any other crazy ideas that might just work?

Evening

I am an AGer out in Jabiru. Greyhound has been my best option so far but I would love to get a whole heap more grain up if had the chance. Freight is a killer!

But everyone knows its not what you know but who, and this is epesscially true of the NT. So I am putting the call out if anyone knows a truckie doing the Brisbane Darwin route and we organise a pallet of the good stuff in a bulk buy??

may be we could get a sign up on a hostel down in Brissy for backpackers to bring up grain on there way in exchange for a hot shower and a meal not consisting of two minute noodles? Tis the season after all... What about the grey nomads (no offence to elderly caravan owners) but there is a fleet of them charging towards Darwin right now. Is there a way of exploiting this convoy? Could we send a message along them via UHF back to the start of the chain to grab a few bags on the way up?

Box and car trailers are massively over priced in Darwin. I would happily buy a car trailer, Shove a pallet of grain on it, unload it in darwin then flog off the trailer for twice as much as I payed for it and pay for some ones petrol if they were heading this way and willing to drag it up. (this is no joke, it's very feasible - infact I could almost pay for the grain also)

Any other crazy ideas that might just work?
I'm up for a bulk buy if we can get the grain up here for cheap....

I'm in Mount Isa, & would be in for a few bags of malt if I could get them offloaded halfway. Ordered a pallet from Craftbrewer when me & a mate started out. $400 via Toll if I remember correctly.
I'd lock in 3 bags of base malt.

Latest posts

Back