Grains For Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maark

Reaction score
Hi all
I need some help..I am I am up to my 10th brew and through experimenting with hops and grain steeping(also a couple of failures) i have finally realized i love malty beers...My last brew was a Brewers selection 5 malts fresh wort,and it is sensational..but after tasting an endeavour amber from dan murphys i am after something more..I am trying to make an amber ale ,something along the lines of:
Morgans royal oak amber
1.5 kg caramalt
maybe fuggles or willamette hops
s04 or 05 yeast
up untill now i have tried crystal medium or carapils grain,200g steeped for an hour.The results have been great tasting beer..I am assuming that more grain will lead to richer/caramelly flavour..
what i need help with is how much grain is too much for a brew?I have just ordered a few different types from CB.
Victory
special b malt
wheat caramel
pale choc malt.
carared..
and i still have the above two.
i want to experiment with these and try and make a rich amber/dark ale..
I love JSAA,white rabbit,Stoke amber etc

cheers mark

I have not looked them up but I think you have some grains in the list need mashing.

You could think of adding upto 300g of Caraamber into your Kit and it only needs steeping. Should put you in the right direction.

I have not looked them up but I think you have some grains in the list need mashing.

You could think of adding upto 300g of Caraamber into your Kit and it only needs steeping. Should put you in the right direction.

they all are steeping grains..so i could use up to 300g?..then i should mix smaller amounts of the stonger ones in with lighter?

there was a 'thingy' somewhere so you can add kits to brewmate... effed if I could ever make it work though and gave up on it pretty quickly as I dont really need it..

however, I always found IanH's SPREADSHEET to be fantastic for working out Kits and Bits.

DL that one and have a play, its the ducks nuts for K&B - Doesnt help for partials though ;)

Yob

there was a 'thingy' somewhere so you can add kits to brewmate... effed if I could ever make it work though and gave up on it pretty quickly as I dont really need it..

however, I always found IanH's SPREADSHEET to be fantastic for working out Kits and Bits.

DL that one and have a play, its the ducks nuts for K&B - Doesnt help for partials though ;)

Yob

cheers mate..that is a great tool..helps me a lot..but according to that i can add as much specialty grain as i want...i have been reading that about 10% is ok..how do i know what is too much?

ok.played around on spread sheet and have come up with this..
1 morgans royal oak amber
1kg amber LDME
125g crystal heritige med 140 ebc
125g victory 50 ebc
125 carared 40 ebc
30g choc malt pale 600 ebc

fuggles hops..undecided how much
will give me 1044...if i add another .5kg ldme would be 1052,but maybe too malty

open to suggestions or ideas

cheers mark

suggestion 1 - double the grains
2 - triple the grains
3 - add 500g of a different but lighter grain

more grain means more flavour

Fuggles - how big is the packet - use it all !! but keep the boil short
to around 20min max to provide flavour rather than bitterness

suggestion 1 - double the grains
2 - triple the grains
3 - add 500g of a different but lighter grain

more grain means more flavour

Fuggles - how big is the packet - use it all !! but keep the boil short
to around 20min max to provide flavour rather than bitterness

i like the sound of more grain..i could double or i have carapils or wheat caramel to add?
I have 90g of fuggles

so steep grain,stain then boil,add hops and turn off after 20mins?
wont this be too sweet with all this grain?

after more research,new recipe
1 morgans royal oak amber
1kg amber LDME
175g carared 50
150g crystal 120
125g victory 50
100g wheat caramel 110
100g carapils
60g choc pale 600

approx 20% grains

seems kit gives 38 IBU

fuggles maybe?