Graining crushing without a mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly as it my sound......but....

Small amounts of grain in a pillow case and belted with a hammer on the back step...

The larger the head of the hammer the easier it is. You dont need to belt the shit out of it just a good tap to crack and crush

It works and is quicker than you think.

Anyone mentioned mortar and pestle? Every man should have one in their kitchen.

Otherwise, buy a mill. I got a hand crank "corona" mill for $105 from my LHBS. Cast iron, tin coated - will last longer than me.

Yeah, that's what I've got. Works fine.

For that price and free postage (don't know how they do that - the thing weighs 5kg easily) you can't go wrong.

DU99 said:
nice cheap mill and if your using coffee grinder get a burr model

Has anyone tried any food processors? I assume they would make flour out of your grain like a coffee grinder or blender.

Geez, you live in Melbourne. Surely, someone on here close to you will have a mill you could borrow for the few seconds it will take to mill the small amount you need milling.

Best idea, in the longer run, is to buy your own mill.

warra48 said:
Geez, you live in Melbourne. Surely, someone on here close to you will have a mill you could borrow for the few seconds it will take to mill the small amount you need milling.

Best idea, in the longer run, is to buy your own mill.

Hence why I asked 'whereabouts in Melbourne are you?"

Yeah, guy doing 5L extract batches, buy a mill and sacks of grain.

This board, man. We've got way bigger problems than whether we're allowed to swear or not. Once they've stopped us from speaking how we wish I hope they move on to forcing some reading comprehension upon us.

bum said:

This board, man. We've got way bigger problems than whether we're allowed to swear or not. Once they've stopped us from speaking how we wish I hope they move on to forcing some reading comprehension upon us.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion? Hopefully people dont choose to accept most with out seeking to accept only common and sensible advice?

While doing extract plus grain and while starting half batch BIAB I have successfully used a pestle and mortar to mill my grain. Once you get it together it isn't that hard.

Now I work out my months brews, order the base malts crushed and still use the pestle and mortar to mill my spec grain.

Works for me.

bum said:

Mate, whilst I've only been on here a few months now, and I definitely realise you know your stuff and have paid your dues on here, I often wonder; what do you guys want? A forum where we are only allowed to talk about what were watching, listening to, or in the bottle? Are you guys that jaded by brewing that you can't bare to hear people asking about this awesome hobby we have any longer? I understand the whole "FFS do a search" thing, but is it that hard to filter the topics that you wish to read?

Flame suit already on and hoping I don't get exiled from the usual great help I've got from being here.

Proffs said:
Mate, whilst I've only been on here a few months now, and I definitely realise you know your stuff and have paid your dues on here, I often wonder; what do you guys want? A forum where we are only allowed to talk about what were watching, listening to, or in the bottle? Are you guys that jaded by brewing that you can't bare to hear people asking about this awesome hobby we have any longer? I understand the whole "FFS do a search" thing, but is it that hard to filter the topics that you wish to read?
Flame suit already on and hoping I don't get exiled from the usual great help I've got from being here.
Here,here!! Or is it hear hear!!

Proffs said:

It's not hard, mate.

A bloke looking at making 5L (that's 5000ml) extract batches (his first not purely involving kit ingredients, not that everyone is expected to know that bit - just some trivia for you) asks how to crack his grain. Thread promptly fills up with people telling him to buy a mill and get his grain in bulk. It takes all of 20 seconds to read his post and maybe 5 seconds to work out if your immediate thoughts re: milling are remotely appropriate - but that last step seems a little too hard.

And the sad reality is that this is basically the template for every thread:

OP: "Here's a specific question about one narrow thing..."
Everyone else: "Bugger that. Get a 19L pot, some swiss voille and an STC. BEER!" (or "I didn't read anything but the title. Here's what I do...")

It's really not that hard to follow. Someone needing three poofteenths of grain cracked should NOT be being directed to a mill BB. It is pure nonsense.

Anyway, Scobieb. Your LHBS will do it for you.

Nick JD said:
The 5 minutes it takes me to process 3.5-4.0kg of grain through my blender make it a very workable situation in my situation. I don't experience any astringency or drainage issues, but milling to flour consistency forces me into doing stepped infusion mashes to make doughball removal easier. Not such a bad thing. I routinely dough in below gelatinisation temps with a protein rest at 55C and then two successive 2L jugs of boiling water take the mash ~7C higher each ... so to 62C and then to an alpha rest depending on style, with more or less than 2L.

If you gave me a mill I'd use it, but by the time the drill and the hopper and the bucket are taken into account, it'd take me 3+ years to justify buying one.

Using a mill is often much easier with 2 people; a blender is very simple. And in my case was already on the bench.

And I get great no-sparge efficiencies.
on seeing your thread i do this too mate, and love how easy it is. i biab and when i mash in, i get dough-ball city, so by the time it takes me to locate them all and get the mash under way, it's literally 5-10 minutes later. is this a problem (apart from being annoying)?

do you use any sort of calculator to figure out the amount of water and temp to get to your desired temps? i'd like to try this. i'm sick of dough balls because i know i take a hit in efficiency because of them.

bum said:
It's not hard, mate.

A bloke looking at making 5L (that's 5000ml) extract batches (his first not purely involving kit ingredients, not that everyone is expected to know that bit - just some trivia for you) asks how to crack his grain. Thread promptly fills up with people telling him to buy a mill and get his grain in bulk. It takes all of 20 seconds to read his post and maybe 5 seconds to work out if your immediate thoughts re: milling are remotely appropriate - but that last step seems a little too hard.

And the sad reality is that this is basically the template for every thread:

OP: "Here's a specific question about one narrow thing..."
Everyone else: "Bugger that. Get a 19L pot, some swiss voille and an STC. BEER!" (or "I didn't read anything but the title. Here's what I do...")

It's really not that hard to follow. Someone needing three poofteenths of grain cracked should NOT be being directed to a mill BB. It is pure nonsense.

Anyway, Scobieb. Your LHBS will do it for you.
i have to admit, i'm guilty of that too. i think i just did it in the above post, or stole it for my own purposes. also, the word 'poofteenth' you used is possibly the greatest word i've ever read on the forum.

Latest posts

Back