Graincoat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingmarwoc

Reaction score
Anyone here got the graincoat and have any feedback on it.

Used my grainfather for the first time on the weekend and took longer than i thought to het a rollijg boil going from the mash (i hit boil as soon as i started sparging).

Would be happy to spend the extra cash if it saves some time - anyone used a graincoat and have experience on how much it helps?

Yep, they do work.

If you hit boil at start of sparge like you said then you've done something wrong, if you just getting to boil at end of sparge then your on a winner, usually hit boil 5-10 mins after sparge finishes.
It does take alittle while to get to the boil when sparging due to the volume of liquid dropping into the vessel. I've never timed it but the coats have improved it somewhat.

Also, mash out at 78. And sparge temp at 78-80. Keeps the heat in, ready to get to boil.

I find ramp up is abit quicker, maybe 20%
It gets to boil and holds a better boil.
The thing would prob help maintain a more even temp through the mash bed even with recirc going.
I use 2 g/f on brew days outside under my carport, and even in winter found no issue with boils at 30 ltrs in each unit. Before the coats, it did take longer.
They look good as well.

Do a quick test. Next time you brew, strap a few bath towels to your Grainfather to insulate it. If you think it helped, then a Graincoat might be a more permanent solution for you.

Back