Grain Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hey all,
found some cheap feed drums today which i can get 3 for $20. air tight and all that. so keep the mice and other vermin out. Just wondering what volume 25kG of grain takes up before i get out and buy some.

Cheers, Rob

I put a 25kg sack in a drum that is approx 50 litres.
A smaller drum would work if I removed the grain from the sack.

Beers,
Doc

These drums are 35 lt.
Hmm. Should go close at least. bugger. if someone knows differently please let me know

I use a chlorine drum which I thought was 40L and it holds about 21kg grain

Damn. looks like a bit more hunting for a 50lt drum so i can get a full sack in there.

You could buy two.

Wanted to minimise the number of drums as much as possible. Was thinking of having 3 all up for 3 different base malts. pale, malt and pils at this stage.
As for other grain i may buy in bulk. wl who knows, maybe i need big drums for all of them.

I have a couple of those big blue drums, the ones close to 44 gallon drum size take two 25kg bags without opening the bags up.

Watch the vermin. Don't spill any grain. Rats can go straight through those plastic drums once they know what to go for. Had one down in the chook house that had a tiny split, which was just enough to weep water when full. It sat there for 6 months full of scratch mix. One day there was a chewed hole where the split was so I swapped it out for a fresh container that had no splits. Next morning there was a freshly chewed hole in exactly the same spot.

When buying your drums, give them the sniff test. The ones I bought had been used for importing all sorts of stuff. One smelt badly of shampoo, this one got left for someone else.

Back