Grain (the hard way)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might need the wide-comb version

claas-lexion-combine-harvester-_1__2.jpg

Ok here's a link of the single row seeder in action.
http://youtu.be/eYPN2WWaG4k

I've been duly warned about the threshing already.

Some have suggested doing it by hand, others have suggested I'm going to have trouble with that. My current line of thinking is to modify a garden mulcher with some rubber flaps in place of the blade, but like Mash Head said, I'll need a crop first before I worry too much about that.

Mr Wibble said:
I am interested in how you're going to harvest it.

I mentioned doing this to SWMBO, and all I got was the rolling-of-the-eyes and the comment "How are you going to harvest it all you daft prick".
Well ok, maybe she didn't quite say exactly that, but that was the take-away message.

I considered mentioning that neolithic farmers would harvest grain with a jaw bone sickle, but it didn't seem appropriate at the time.
I think harvesting will be the easy bit and threshing will be the harder bit.

While we do have a scythe, I'm not very good with it so I'll probably use my brushcutter with a metal blade attachment.

If you use a nice sweeping motion, my experience is grass lays down in a nice orderly pile, as long as the metal blade is used. Using the cord head could tear it all up to shreds and spit it out everywhere I imagine.

My father inlaw has an attachment for his wiper snipper that is a hedge trimmer, has a reciprocating knife almost the same as a harvester front. Would be an ideal tool for the job of laying it down. Or just sharpen up that scythe, sounds like you need the practice.

Yeah, since this project is "the hard way" maybe I should use the scythe.

I had a go with it last year on some thick kikuyu but it probably is betterfor a project like this with dry stalky stuff. Might need to fix it up a bit, from memory the blade is a bit loose.

The barley is well and truly coming up now, just waiting for some rain so I can stop hand watering!

IMAG0151.jpg

I will probably sow mine this week I will add a pic of the germination once it comes up. It might be usefull for you to compare

How deep is barley planted and do you use any trace elements like zinc .Planted some sweet corn earlier this year and was complete failure maybe the seed was faulty or may need to use trace elements.

Ideally 5-10mm, but with broad acre cropping equipment its not always perfectly placed, I am dropping 100kg per ha of zincstar fertiliser below the barley seed, and then if all going well will hit up with some straight N in the form of urea down the track.

Not too bad I think. Red legged earthmites took a liking to it for a while and I think a bunny had a munch in one spot. But in general, comparing to other crops I have seen lately the leaf lengths look about the same.

Also I have come to understand why Hoppy2b advised me to leave room between the rows to hand hoe. Its going to take a little work to keep on top of the weeds.
I've been researching Biab, and I think soon I'll need to have a crack at malting some feed barley for practice.

This is a pic of my crop yesterday, its a bit patchy because the seeder had some issues with blockages. Should still go alright if conditions are favourable.Pic_0624_122 (800x600).jpg
Pic_0624_123 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back