Grain Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi all,
I made a smash with GP, Centennial, US05. Was meant to be 18.5 ltrs but I may have over boiled the wort so it came out at only 15 ltrs and was way stronger (would have been 6.5% instead of the 4.5% target ABV) so watered down and added yeast.
It dropped from 1.050 to 1.010 and so all seemed well. It is temp controlled and the bottles are almost two weeks in for bottle conditioning. I tried some and it tastes like I would imagine if I didn't add the yeast. It seems almost like it is (Hoppy) grain water rather than turning into beer.
Not overly unpleasant just not very beer like. I am not too sure if any one else has had this before?

Any ideas would be great :huh:

What method did you use?

Extreme extraction of tannins?

Hi all,
I made a smash with GP, Centennial, US05. Was meant to be 18.5 ltrs but I may have over boiled the wort so it came out at only 15 ltrs and was way stronger (would have been 6.5% instead of the 4.5% target ABV) so watered down and added yeast.
It dropped from 1.050 to 1.010 and so all seemed well. It is temp controlled and the bottles are almost two weeks in for bottle conditioning. I tried some and it tastes like I would imagine if I didn't add the yeast. It seems almost like it is (Hoppy) grain water rather than turning into beer.
Not overly unpleasant just not very beer like. I am not too sure if any one else has had this before?

Any ideas would be great :huh:

Arvo guys,

I'd be looking at the lower hop utilisation due the higher SG of the wort compared with what you were expecting with your recipe design. It may not account for all of it, but if the beer is just "maltier" it will explain the lower IBU's.

Cheers,

BB

What method did you use?

Extreme extraction of tannins?

Hi Mark I Heat up Strike water in my 30 ltr Pot and then add that to chilly bin. This time I had mash temp at 65 deg as I had been having problems with mashing too high to this point.
I may be boiling too vigerously as I have a Blichmann Burner and that cranks with ease...

I think IBUs were around 35ish off top of head if that helps... Aroma is great just the flavour hasnt converted quite as expected.

Was the beer carbonated well and chilled? I find a carbonation really changes perception when I'm testing beers.

Hi Mark I Heat up Strike water in my 30 ltr Pot and then add that to chilly bin. This time I had mash temp at 65 deg as I had been having problems with mashing too high to this point.
I may be boiling too vigerously as I have a Blichmann Burner and that cranks with ease...

I think IBUs were around 35ish off top of head if that helps... Aroma is great just the flavour hasnt converted quite as expected.

If you calculated 35 IBU using whatever software you use based in your targeted OG, then by overshooting that OG you will have lowered the hop utilisation, as BlueBaggers pointed out, resulting in a much lower IBU which you then further watered down. You still have plenty of hop aroma but the balance is out of whack as you have a lot of malt and not enough IBU to even it out.

Im with acasta, is the beer carbed, sounds to me like a beer that hasnt carbed up yet, given the time of year 2 weeks may not be enough.

Cheers guys. Will wait further and see how much further it develops. Good to know about the effect that watering down would have had.

Hop utilisation at 18.5L vs 15L would be bugger all difference.

If 15L is 6.5%, 18.5 isn't 4.5% ... it's 5.3%. You'd be a couple of IBUs different - which would be difficult to distinguish.

Numbers are all over the place. It tastes sweet, but it finished at 1.010?

Could also been a bit green considering not even 2 weeks into bottle.

Hop utilisation at 18.5L vs 15L would be bugger all difference.

If 15L is 6.5%, 18.5 isn't 4.5% ... it's 5.3%. You'd be a couple of IBUs different - which would be difficult to distinguish.

Numbers are all over the place. It tastes sweet, but it finished at 1.010?

Yeah sorry I ended up leaving it at around the 5% mark as a compromise and put it down to better than expected efficiency. BrewMate had originally been set for 18.5 @ 4.5% though.

Yeah it is reasonably sweet and it did finish at 1.010... this all adds to the question but if it's due to this still being too green then as I said I can wait.

Problem is you used a chilly bin - next time use an esky ;)
Cheers
BBB

Maybe you don't like GP and I would say that you may have just brewed a bit of a boring beer with a SMASH. Give it time it might change into a nice summer drinking beer.

Back