Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have just had another round of mice through the place.
They managed to actually find and get into my specialty grains. With about a dozen + different grains to choose from, the one they like and went nuts on was Rauchmalt. Weird. They like smoked flavours.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,
My neighbour threw out one of those 40KG pool chlorine pails the other day and I pounced on it as it has a screw on lid. It turned out to hold only 22KG grain but the rest went straight into a brew. If you can pick up these from a recycler they are ideal.

Batz said:
Mine all lives inside too big d

Is the cause of some friction now and then
[post="14302"][/post]​
At my place, this is unlikely to cause grief until the size of my stash exceeds the Dragon's horde/ stash of collectibles (and uncollectibles!).

Unlikely in the foreseeable future...so I'm cheering.

Hmmm, only have 4 fermentors in the bathroom, and 2 Muntons 25kg DME boxes (containing grain for 2 brews and about 10 kg DME) + sundry magazines, kits (2 of mine/ 2 belonging to a friend), manifold and beer bottles etc...

Had grain in a bucket in the storage area/ laundry under my house. Rats can be in issue as I live on the edge of the bush. The rats didn't get the grain, but made a mess of the edges of the lid (so U could see the grain inside the bucket), as well as the plastic on the edges of an esky and my old Coopers fermentor lid. The rats and stinkin' possums have been known to cavort and knock beer bottles over, too.

Does anyone have a good recipe for possum stew?
Seth :p

Seth, take one possum, skinned. Put the possum and a river rock about 300g into a large pot of boiling water. When the rock softens, pull out the possum, throw it away and eat the rock!

Doc,

My brother got me a couple of steel 44 gallon drums for $5 ea from the tip near his farm out Mudgee way. I'll get him to get a few more if you want??

beerz

Linz

Sounds great Linz, but I'll need a new/bigger shed to fit some 44 gal drums.
Base grains are in the shed. Specialty are split between the pantry and the laundry. The laundry is where the mice struck this time. Killed three that we know of.

Doc

being remote my opinions are a bit behind the latest kmart/target/myer/bigw/ etc cattledogs but i reckon when i do the move later this year i will be placing all my grain in those rather large square plastic containers that get advertised now and again.safe and sound and individually labeled. hopefully rodent proof.

cheers
big d

At our last house we had a mouse, but I saw a very large cat next door, so I left some cat biscuits out for him. Not every night, but he always checked the dish on his patrols. Never had a problem after that.
The old style Gal Iron garbage cans are great for storing grain, & if you flip it over its a great kettle stand!
I have had a few mice try to get a cheap feed in the garage at our new place, so I started putting out baits. I was a little surprised to see that there are some mice or rats that are now Warfrin resistant. I have used 3 different baits, and I weigh the baits every morning to see how they are going. So far I have got rid of 3 mice, and cleared away any temptations. I had a visit from a good sized BlueTongue lizard last week so he can hang around for as long as he likes
When we first started the shop at North Ryde, we had mice or rats in the roof. I put out baits but the best cure was to stick a few holes in some Sodium Met bags & throw a them up into the roof and on top of the cool room. Problem solved.
The best solution is a cat or a terrier. Duff has a couple of great cats, so I can't see him ever having a drama, maybe Doc you should ask Duff for a lend of a cat for a week.
Cheers
Gerard

I haven't had any problems with my grain as yet as I'm still buying as required from LHBS. However, when it comes to grain storage I do know a little about this. I used to breed show budgies and at any time I had anywhere from 180 to 300 birds to feed - not to mention any young in the nest: I was going through about 60-80 kg of grain a month.

The best storage container I found was the humble galvo rubbish bin. I have to admit at this point that I was only storing one type of grain. But there is no excuse to not store special grains etc in smaller plastic containers or plastic bags within the big bin.

Make sure that if you do utilise this method that you make sure that the lid is a very good fit and that it sits flat on the bin.

Steve

I just picked up some plastic tubs from Big Bubble, they are slightly bigger than a 30L fermenter. Whilst i dont own any grain yet it did hold a full 25kg bag of chicken feed.
Only $6, heavy duty white plastic, have an insert lid plus screw lid that goes over it.They dont have them all the time though. I will get some more so im ready for my first grain purchases.

:beer:
Richard

Recharge, Ive found 25kg of wheat is pretty much 35L, whilst 25kg of other base malts are about 50L

berto said:
Recharge, Ive found 25kg of wheat is pretty much 35L, whilst 25kg of other base malts are about 50L
[post="108256"][/post]​
Ill have to buy a few extras then. They are very tough unlike the square roll out type ones which crack very easily.

Cheers

:beer:

Richard

Problem solvered:

cats.jpg

Instructions:
To turn on professional rat killing machines, turn off gas heater.

Seriously tho, these guys catch a few mice a day, and a rat a week or two.
Some of those rats have more littl'ns in 'em, so thats 6 birds with one stone, ahhh, 6 rats with one.... ahhhh.
It amazes me that a cat can catch a rat close to its own body size!

So are plastic rubbish bins ok for storing grain? can you tip them straight into it or should it be lined?

Will the grain sweat or do anything funky in plastic containers?

Plastic is fine for grain storage BUT dont let it be airtight if stored outdoors ie a hot garage as it will swet with heat, and its a mould / weevil heaven
My grain is in a plastic garbage ( in the grain bag ) with the snap lock handles and keeps out the mice and rats. Airtight it is not and all the little tiny insects can get at it.

I am looking at Fibre Drum containers with a snap lock seal lid for bulk grain storage, as they will be better in hot conditions as opposed to plastic .

I am getting some prices, and will keep all informed pronto !

:)

I store my grain in the shed now , I have a good friend who lives in there , no mice problems as yet.

Does freak some visiting brewers
We named him Monty

Batz

Good wishes for your local eradarcator (sp) and hope your "Z" whatever clears up soon.

Bit of a worry really.

Wes

Na.............. think i will go with a container for my grain thanks Batz :blink:
Now i need a beer :huh: :huh: !!!!!!!

It's "to be left alone" :)

Hand me my 12 guage.

Edit: Yeah, nice one Batz.
Zymocenosilicaphobia: fear of an empty beer glass

Back