Grain storage strategy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on grain storage. Until now I've been ordering each grain bill from the LHBS. I'd love to start buying grain in bulk in advance so I don't have to do this but I'm a little unsure the best way to do it. What grains do people keep in what quantities? If stored properly how long will the grain last? Do people who do this find they have to order specialty grains for certain brews? Finally, are people storing grain at home also storing hops and banking yeast? Any other advice for someone looking to make this shift.

Start by looking at what malt(s) you use the most of, usually base malt(s). Look at what recipes you brew at what time of year, how many times each, and therefore how much of each grain type you anticipate using in the coming X months.

Then try to coordinate your purchasing around that.

Looking for some advice on grain storage. Until now I've been ordering each grain bill from the LHBS. I'd love to start buying grain in bulk in advance so I don't have to do this but I'm a little unsure the best way to do it. What grains do people keep in what quantities? If stored properly how long will the grain last? Do people who do this find they have to order specialty grains for certain brews? Finally, are people storing grain at home also storing hops and banking yeast? Any other advice for someone looking to make this shift.
Do you have a local brew club/ association/union...? Buy in bulk through them, 1/2 sacks and 1/4 sacks are normally possible by sharing.
Plastic pails or drums are good as you can stack them. If you don't want the grain in contact with plastic you can put fabric liners in.

I use the Keg King Grainary and I love em. One has Ale malt and one has Pilsner malt. I just buy the specialty grains by the kg un milled from the LHBS. Because, I vary the styles I brew so much (Porter to Neipa to Schwarzbier to ESB) and I like trying different malts etc. So for me, buying a kg or two of specialty malts and paying $1.50 more per KG is offset by buying the base malt in bulk.

I use an old plastic olive container for malt, fits a full 25kg bag. I also have a 20kg ex bulk mayo bucket that i use for the smaller quantities of grain, both have tight fitting lids. Hops are in double zip lock bags in the freezer and dry yeast is in a sealed container in the fridge.

A black plastic 50L willow bin from Bunnings fits a sack snugly. Or those rectangular storage tubs with wheels are good for the bottom of your garage shelves ( if they fit ), just roll them out, scoop grains, then roll back under.

Back