Grain steeping and Coopers English bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefKing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been knocking out pretty good brews with different coopers cans, steeping with specialty grains.

Then boiling the strained grain water/wort with different hops adding it to the fermenter with the can of goo & LDME and using better yeasts.

I have a can of English bitter that I want to try out.

Hops I have fuggles & EK golding so that should be OK...

So what grains would suit this? Any recipes?

Any yeast recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the "Robochoc" recipe on the coopers diy web site. I can vouch for it as I did it last year, beautiful flavours, great for this time of year.

ChefKing said:
Hi All,

I have been knocking out pretty good brews with different coopers cans, steeping with specialty grains.

I have a can of English bitter that I want to try out.

Hops I have fuggles & EK golding so that should be OK...

So what grains would suit this? Any recipes?

Any yeast recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
If it were me I'd just go with the hops, why "grain up" a nice English Bitter?
Cheers

grott said:
If it were me I'd just go with the hops, why "grain up" a nice English Bitter?
Cheers
Valid point.... But I find grain steeping adds more body, flavour & mouthfeel and eliminates the dreaded "homebrew twang"...

You could go either CaraPils and/or Munich2. A mix of these (say 200grams of each) would be nice.

Cheers,
Pete

100grm biscuit and 200grm of crystal 60 will do the trick. Then you can play with the amounts on your next batch of bitter if you want it maltier. If you add more than that in future you may also want to up your bitterness .

Danstar Nottingham as the yeast - always rehydrate as per their instructions. Most of the above spec malts are fine and I have had good results with 250 grams of medium crystal and 50 grams of chocolate.

Another option for the grains would be Heritage Crystal if you can get some.

I'd go with Danstar Windsor, if you want the body higher, it tends to be less attenuative and give off some nice esters.

Latest posts

Back