Grain Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
I've been struggling with some old bathroom scales, I dont think they are very accurate..

I bought a 25kg 'postage scale' on eBay which is good, however is so small that I can't read the weight underneath the grain container.

Can you guys recommend some good scales for measuring grain?

I use some digital ones bought from house at knifepoint(highpoint) shopping centre. Accurate to the grams, does both grain and hops easily.

I've been struggling with some old bathroom scales, I dont think they are very accurate..

I bought a 25kg 'postage scale' on eBay which is good, however is so small that I can't read the weight underneath the grain container.

How about placing something with a smaller footprint on the scale to lift the grain container up enough to see the readout?

I got those ones they are selling on E-bay. I paid $20 + $20 postage and they are great. Just like the ones in shops. They go up to 30kgs at 5g interval. They have a large display front and back and are designed for typing in per/kg price like at the butchers. I have done some checks and they a pretty accurate. I think the place on E-bay that sells them are called something RIVER? Aus River or similar.

I like using hanging scales for base malt. I hang a bucket on the scale, tare off & scoop grain into bucket.

I got those ones they are selling on E-bay. I paid $20 + $20 postage and they are great. Just like the ones in shops. They go up to 30kgs at 5g interval. They have a large display front and back and are designed for typing in per/kg price like at the butchers. I have done some checks and they a pretty accurate. I think the place on E-bay that sells them are called something RIVER? Aus River or similar.

+1

Great scales, $48 delivered from ebay, plus they have a built in rechargeable battery, so you are not tied to a power point!

+1

Great scales, $48 delivered from ebay, plus they have a built in rechargeable battery, so you are not tied to a power point!

Thats the ones. Great for weighing out grain. I used to use my small 2kg max hop scales that are more accurate but a pain in bum weighing out 1.5kg lots of grain to make a full brews worth.

Steve

sca.jpg

Thats the ones. Great for weighing out grain. I used to use my small 2kg max hop scales that are more accurate but a pain in bum weighing out 1.5kg lots of grain to make a full brews worth.

Steve

View attachment 20771
Hi SJW I got some thing like this(postage scales) a few years back but in 2 gm rises.Really good for putting a brew down, having the Tare feature is a bonus , takes lots of time off putting the recipe together.5gm rises is good enough for home use though.I notice the price has dropped a fair bit since I got mine.
GB

Are you mates with a spray painter I got a set 7500gr 0.1 accuracy for free they would be worth heaps to buy,

Latest posts

Back