Grain Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka

Reaction score
I just got this book "Clone Brews" an older book but with some good recipes in it. I have a question about the grain it lists in the ingredients for each recipe, particularly Crystal Malt. The book lists Crystal Malt like this

2.5 *(degree mark)L German Light Crystal Malt

or
65*L German Dark Crystal Malt

I'm wondering what these degrees refer to as its not explained in the book and what does the "L" stand for. I noticed it is only for Crystal Malt. I hope this question was explained well.

Cheers
Luka

Colour of the grain in Lovibond, I think there's a fairly even split between the use of Lovibond and EBC.
For homebrewers it's more a guide than a definite number. Higher umber is darker.

Edit: Cleared up the explanation

download the demo of beersmith, you can have a play in that and it will tell you what EBC the grains are, the crystals are marked with L (60L etc), but if you double click it it gives you the EBC info too. so you can use that to work it out. another thing do a google search for a converter, i'm sure there's a calculator somewhere that will convert for you.

Yes. There is even a converter on the AHB webpage! (click on "calcs" and then on the "colour" tab.)

Thanks guys that makes sense that is is the measurement in Lovibond. Appreciate the answers.

Luka

Latest posts

Back