Grain Of The Week - Rye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you used rye in your beer?

• Yes, and I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, not great but I'd use it again

• Yes, but I didn't like it

• Never used it but want to

• Never used it and have no interest

• Total voters
Axertes, the Sunshine Coast beer falls in the SB/ESB category far more than the rye/roggenbier category. So it's a not going to give you a great idea of what roggenbier is like.

There is not an abundance of commercial examples available. You're best bet is to find the best bottleshop in town and see if they've got something. I think 3 Ravens did a roggen at one stage although I have not tried it. You may be lucky and find something from Germany or possibly America in the bottleshop. It depends on how good your local bottleshops are.

Axertes, the Sunshine Coast beer falls in the SB/ESB category far more than the rye/roggenbier category. So it's a not going to give you a great idea of what roggenbier is like.

There is not an abundance of commercial examples available. You're best bet is to find the best bottleshop in town and see if they've got something. I think 3 Ravens did a roggen at one stage although I have not tried it. You may be lucky and find something from Germany or possibly America in the bottleshop. It depends on how good your local bottleshops are.
I have the Spotted Cow Cellars here: one of the best in QLD :D I think I've seen the 3 Ravens Rye, might give it a go.

Edit: actually, it's the best bottle shop in QLD, apparently: http://www.spottedcow.com.au/_webapp_12329...TLE_SHOP_IN_QLD!

No I'm not affiliated with them. I just love them :wub:

One of my favourite beers is Sunshine Coast Brewery's Rye ESB. It's like honey! Delicious! And this is coming from someone who isn't usually a fan of really malty, less-hopped beers (more a Pale Ale kinda guy).

The Sunshine Coast Brewery Rye ESB is 54 IBU and dry hopped to boot! No wonder you're a fan of it! :D

Don't mind the Spotted Cow and really liked the Cellars. Have not been there for a few years but i remember good things... Now i want a good rye beer...

54IBU!? Doesn't taste that way!

I guess we call that 'balance'.
Too late to edit.

Well, as it turns out the Cow had a threefer on 3 Ravens beers. So I got their 'Ravenator' (bock), their 'USB' (Ueber Special Bitter - ESB) and the 'rye' (roggenbier).

The bock was average, the roggenbier was ok. BUT... the 'USB' was awesome!

With the roggen (which this thread is about, although I looooved the 'USB')... well. The rye was apparent on the first taste, with the rye-caramel-warmth, but the alcoholiness and other factors kinda overrode the rye goodness after the first sip or two. It didn't really have the special rye taste, nor did it have any real complexity. The Sunny Coast Rye ESB doesn't have much complexity either, but the rye-honey-molasses taste is something special.

Did I mention the USB was awesome? Try it!

Too late to edit.

Well, as it turns out the Cow had a threefer on 3 Ravens beers. So I got their 'Ravenator' (bock), their 'USB' (Ueber Special Bitter - ESB) and the 'rye' (roggenbier).

The bock was average, the roggenbier was ok. BUT... the 'USB' was awesome!

With the roggen (which this thread is about, although I looooved the 'USB')... well. The rye was apparent on the first taste, with the rye-caramel-warmth, but the alcoholiness and other factors kinda overrode the rye goodness after the first sip or two. It didn't really have the special rye taste, nor did it have any real complexity. The Sunny Coast Rye ESB doesn't have much complexity either, but the rye-honey-molasses taste is something special.

Did I mention the USB was awesome? Try it!
I had the Rye ESB on tap the other night and I found it noticeably sweeter than I remember it. It tasted to me like they've either dropped the IBUs or have changed the grain bill a little, I'm not sure.
I'd be curious to know if others who've tasted this beer over the years have had a similar impression.

but the rye-honey-molasses taste is something special.
Pretty sure they use Treacle. I hate the stuff and it is very over powering in that particular beer. :icon_vomit:

About to add the 60 min addition to a rye robust porter - stammtisch beer the latest . Minimum 15% rye was needed in this one, which I did with both cara-rye and malted rye.

I just started this off yesterday and is my second beer on a new keggle using BIAB. I have grown a bit tired of in your face fruity hops :icon_vomit: and so made one with lots of Czech saaz for a more subdued flavour and aroma. I would normally only boil for 60 mins but was a bit out of whack with a few other things going on. The wort drained fine and went through the chiller very well.....this was the first time using a plate chiller and it worked very well. Using tank water it took about 5-7 minutes to drop it down to the tank water temp.

I'm not sure if the malt bill will overwhelm the saaz flavour but would think it may come out quite well balanced. What do you think?

This wort was viscous and also quite hazy out of the boiler. I am hopeful for a beer with lots of character. I'll post up my tasting notes when it is done.

Ryazza (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 38.5 (Average)

67.04% Pale Ale Malt
22.35% Rye Malt
5.59% Victory
2.79% Caramalt
2.23% Acidulated Malt

0.7 g/L Northern Brewer (11% Alpha) @ 70 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

0.1 g/L Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
0.2 g/L Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 70 Minutes

Fermented at 17C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Interested in using up left over malts before the brewing season kicks off proper, so am having a go at a 40% malted rye, 40% dark malted wheat, 20% amber malt. First wort hopped with Galaxy, Galaxy again at flameout. Keen to see how the rye and the amber play together (or don't).

pajs said:
Interested in using up left over malts before the brewing season kicks off proper, so am having a go at a 40% malted rye, 40% dark malted wheat, 20% amber malt. First wort hopped with Galaxy, Galaxy again at flameout. Keen to see how the rye and the amber play together (or don't).
Brewing season??? There's a period of the year people don't brew??? I must be on the wrong site!

MastersBrewery said:
Brewing season??? There's a period of the year people don't brew??? I must be on the wrong site!
I mostly brew in winter - enough for the year. Summer & early Autumn usually taken up with vintage (wine stuff). Might do a few brews in early Spring, but winter is the brewing season.

Latest posts

Back