Grain Mills

• Thread starter waggabrewers
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

waggabrewers

Hi I am interest in making a Twin roller Grain mill but I need to see a few designs first. I would like to attach a hopper to the grain mill as well.

Thanks Peter

Thanks Murray, But I know my way around here.
I would like to pay some one to make a really nice grain roller with hopper.
Prefferably with a wooden frame, with a nice finish to it, to be displayed at the Club Room.
Thanks Peter

Peter,
You first posted that you were interesting in making one, and your second said you want someonelse to make one.

If you can be less ambiguous then perhaps we can be of better help.

eg on craftbrewers website there are designs you can refer to in their library section http://oz.craftbrewer.org/

Roach

waggabrewers said:
Thanks Murray, But I know my way around here.
I would like to pay some one to make a really nice grain roller with hopper.
Prefferably with a wooden frame, with a nice finish to it, to be displayed at the Club Room.
Thanks Peter
[post="45382"][/post]​

You beat me to the same comment Roach.
Peter,
Murray answered your original enquiry with a perfectly polite reply.
He even added a smiley.
I suggest that if you want assistance and respect then approach your replies with the same.

Ok I Would like one Made For me. Can we get this topic moving in a forward direction now?

hi peter
from memory i think sosman made a grain mill with the rollers made from redgum.i believe he had good success with this.maybe worth pming him to see if my memory serves me correct or check out his brew wiki web site.
im a fitter by trade so went down this path of make my own but in the end i bought a barley crusher.far easier and quicker but now that ive bought one couldnt see too many problems making my own providing you have access to a lathe or someone who can turn up some rollers on the cheap for you.

cheers
big d

Thanks Big D. Ive heard of a mill that has a red wood frame with stainless rollers. But to my searching I have not found it on this forum.

Id like to see photos of peoples wooden framed roller mills that they have made, that may be interested in making me one.

I hope I have explained what I need to a satisfactory level.

If you can help me in my request, please add to this thread.

Peter

Peter,

On the craftbrewers site I referred to earlier there is a step by step guide to build such a mill with pics and part details. Gavs Roller Mill I think it is called.

Roach

peter
basically as roach has mentioned you have the power of search in front of you.aust craft brewer site is a good starter plus there is heaps of usa sites that can help.once you have worked out someone who can turn up some rollers(knurled preferably)the rest is basically straight forward unless of course you want the rollers to have bearings or as the bc has bronze bushes.
a long search on this site may reveal jayse,s home made crusher.he made it in conjunction with his brother.he hasnt been on this site for awhile now but when he returns im sure he may help.other than that i could always take dimensions to help you out to give to someone to fab the rollers if need be.

cheers
big d

Crikey Wagga, you must be thumping the keyboard by now, still no pix or instructions dropped into your lap :p

tdh

big d said:
from memory i think sosman made a grain mill with the rollers made from redgum.
[post="45386"][/post]​

Redgum my arse. Jarrah.

Knurling is for pussies.

doh
sorry sos but at least i was in the wood ball park.
have you spent the $500 winnings yet.?

big d said:
have you spent the $500 winnings yet.?
[post="45408"][/post]​

Buggers, didn't even get the $100 back that I paid to the judges.

What about a stuffed nutcracker for the clubrooms ...

squirrelreal.jpg

Didn't Pumpy just make a nice looking wooden mill

Pumpy (??)

(my missus would laugh her head off if she found out I refered to a mill as "nice looking"....)

this is what i built

will be doing a better job of the hopper and base in the future

this was tyo get me going

the frame is kilned red gum and hars as hell.

rollers anr 316 SS. 2" dis and 200mm long.

cheers

man i need typing lessons :p

more pics

Back