Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSRman said:
anyone know crush size? .9mm seems to be around a bit..
.9 mm is indeed the norm. Although some people prefer finer or coaser cracks than this, I wouldn't suggest anything too radical in comparison. Too large and you wont get as good a utilisation, too small and you will have balling problems, among other things.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

It might be worth holding off buying from the states. At the moment the aussie dollor is at 64 cents and there is talk it will get to 70 and even 80 cents in the future.

Rook

I've discovered washing machines are an inexpensive source of electric motors for this sort of thing. Theres always a few washers on the footpaths around my way.

I picked up a Phil Mill 2 for $30 from a guy who is selling off all his brewing gear, for medical reasons. Thats a good deal if u ask me!

here is a pic of mine

It has a .37 kw 1500rpm motor on it

The pulleys are 1 1/2" on the motor and 12" on the mill. I am planing on fitting a 16" pully to the mill to slow it down a bit.

I have found 0.9 to 1mm perfect. any finer and you get balling and stuck sparges, and courser and your efficiency dorps off faster than you would believe.

the hopper will hold 12 kg and will crack 10 kg in 2 min.

cheers

Latest posts

Back