Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this 16/04/20 KL Q&A #3923

I applaud their continuing development, personally I'm waiting for maltzilla V.3, V.1 has issues (was always going to have) V.2 will fix those issues, and V.3 will be a refinement, just my 2 bobs worth.

Actually I might wait for v3.1.1 . (cost me $100 to upgrade my Robo from v.3 to v3.1, they then come out with v.3.1.1 wtf! whatever happened to test the bloody things in the real world?)
There's plastic and then there's plastic, this stuff is obviously hard/brittle (looking at the failure point it's a clean snap not a stretchy sort of fail) if the design requires a material with no give then make sure it's thick/strong enough to do the job. This appears to be a good idea, diamond roller (possibly) let down by "how cheap can we make it" and a complete lack of real world testing. ie The rollers locking up if you over-tighten the adjustment screws. For the tabs to break as depicted I would suggest the Maltzilla v.1 is not fit for purpose.
Reminds me of duotights, 2 "O" rings a great idea but they melt if exposed to bleach, no mention about it in any data sheets, and when questioned "bleach isn't commonly used in homebrewing" REALLY! not good enough, John Guest are plastic and they don't melt, someone needs to look at reasonable quality rather than pure profit.
In fairness they did replace the melted fittings, I've gone back to JG's
Stuff happens, KK had issues with a pipe on their Guten (maybe should have tested it a bit more) but they recognised the issue and fixed it fairly quickly, will be interesting to see how KL handle their latest fk up.

I’ve got a millmaster mill which when I tried my motor on 12v it just stalled. 24v and will crush 3-4kg in about a minute
Yes mate, I am not confident about the outcome, even though its against my nature to think on the negative side. I have 5 or 6 drills in the shed, and I have seen the variable speed triggers you can buy on eBay, not even sure they will be alright. I have 3 Makitas with a flat top which would be ideal if I could get a speed control.

+1 from me on the Keg-King (driven) 3 roller mill. It’s proven to be the schizzle for me.

Had a Corona (plate) flour mill for about a hundred years (wait on, that can’t be right, I’m only 96?). I do @10kgs grain per brew. The corona can’t be killed, just works, produces 80% efficiency, and I have done so much raw wheat on it my right arm looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s in his prime. Which is sad, cos my left more resembles a pipe cleaner.

Anyhoo, fast forward to the new keg-king mill. Great build quality. Easy adjustment. Use an 18V Ozito cordless, go slow, done in about 10 minutes.

Efficiency roughly the same. Effort reduced to a fraction. Never had a stuck sparge with either mill, mind you.

Haven’t tried raw wheat yet, but you know what? I’ve still got the old ‘rona and I reckon I’ll wear that out rather than f*ck up the knurling on the new one. Might use my other arm going forward.

I went with the KK option largely because I’m a traditionalist. Ends up, I’m glad I did. Turns out that milling is just another bit of control I’m now much better at.

Note: I’m KL- KK agnostic. I buy shit from both. Had a couple of problems with the KK website. Spoke to Kyle, very professional and quick to resolve issues.

Maybe thats why they advertise it with a foot missing, so you won't be looking for a replacement after you open the box. Yes sir, thats perfectly normal sir, 3 feet only, but you don't get to pick which foot is missing. Money back? I'm sorry sir but thats how it is advertised. Next.:cool:
Plastic, just cheap and nasty.
Have to quote my own post, though I was joking above, that was pretty much the advice that was given when the complaint was taken up with KL the foot is broken off with a pair of pliers because it fouls the motor housing (poor design fault) so the foot has to be removed. Surely if it was designed with 4 feet it needs 4 feet. Just snapping off the diagonal feet top and bottom doesn't resolve the issue, the draftsman would have omitted the feet Got his refund and is getting the KK Geared 3 roller, it does look an excellent crush.

Have to quote my own post, though I was joking above, that was pretty much the advice that was given when the complaint was taken up with KL the foot is broken off with a pair of pliers because it fouls the motor housing (poor design fault) so the foot has to be removed. Surely if it was designed with 4 feet it needs 4 feet. Just snapping off the diagonal feet top and bottom doesn't resolve the issue, the draftsman would have omitted the feet Got his refund and is getting the KK Geared 3 roller, it does look an excellent crush.
I had to read your post three times to get my head around it, to say I'm incredulous is the understatement of the year, Not sure what drugs Kee is on but he needs to share cos it's obviously good shit!

Getting a good crush with my Keg King geared 3 roller mill, removed the safety grid, it prevented the grain from flowing through. Much better now and my fingers wouldn't fit through the bottom of the hopper any way, plus the gap is to small for the rollers to get purchase on fingers.
View attachment 118143
Just purchased a 3 roller. What size have you set your mill. I had a setting of 1mm on the 2 roller, but have about 1.4mm on the new one , but not getting a good as crush as yours. Perhaps going too fast. tks

Just purchased a 3 roller. What size have you set your mill. I had a setting of 1mm on the 2 roller, but have about 1.4mm on the new one , but not getting a good as crush as yours. Perhaps going too fast. tks
I'm at work, but from memory its 0.89 gap and slow speed.

Checked mine and it is on 1.4 but it does mill pretty slow, I think it will depend on the grain, how plump it is.

I was going to buy the KK 3 roller but it's out of stock and I'm on a schedule so I ended up getting the KL one, hopefully it goes just as well.

If you wet condition grain does the gap need to be tighter, the same or larger?

I was going to buy the KK 3 roller but it's out of stock and I'm on a schedule so I ended up getting the KL one, hopefully it goes just as well.

If you wet condition grain does the gap need to be tighter, the same or larger?
Should have got on the bulk buy for the 3 roller, I think quite a few got picked up there. Hope all goes well with the MaltZilla.

Tried out the Keg King 3 roller geared mill with the motor dynamics motor set at .085 and was very happy with the brew on the Grainfather G70 Og target was 1.041 got 1.045. Not sure if I could tighten it up any more.

Attachments

• Grain Crush .085.jpg
    Grain Crush .085.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Grainmill.jpg
    Grainmill.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 81
Tried out the Keg King 3 roller geared mill with the motor dynamics motor set at .085 and was very happy with the brew on the Grainfather G70 Og target was 1.041 got 1.045. Not sure if I could tighten it up any more.
Can you please confirm your gap? 0.085 inches (85 thou / 2.159 mm) seems a big gap.

Still, if it works....:cheers:

Can you please confirm your gap? 0.085 inches (85 thou / 2.159 mm) seems a big gap.

Still, if it works....:cheers:
Yes that freaked me out because my 2 roller was only .039 yes .085 on the dial or 2.159 mm at about 180 RPM Got the efficiency. At 2mm I was concerned that it would not crush some grain, but it was okay. Might just try sneaking it down 1 thou each brew. I initially set it at .055 (1.40mm) and too fine and stuck sparge
That is on the dial on the side so I would imagine the the measurements are close. You cannot get a feeler guage in their

Yes that freaked me out because my 2 roller was only .039 yes .085 on the dial or 2.159 mm at about 180 RPM Got the efficiency. At 2mm I was concerned that it would not crush some grain, but it was okay. Might just try sneaking it down 1 thou each brew. I initially set it at .055 (1.40mm) and too fine and stuck sparge
That is on the dial on the side so I would imagine the the measurements are close. You cannot get a feeler guage in their
Yep, had the same problem when I first got my 3 roller, can't get a feeler gauge in, and the markings on mine seemed to be way out, got it done by trial and error in the end, so have no idea what the gap actually is, and a change of grain means little trial crushes and judging it by eyeball, not ideal but it works.

Yep, had the same problem when I first got my 3 roller, can't get a feeler gauge in, and the markings on mine seemed to be way out, got it done by trial and error in the end, so have no idea what the gap actually is, and a change of grain means little trial crushes and judging it by eyeball, not ideal but it works.
Might try conditioning my grain and bring it back to .059 that 1.5mm so I don't have to keep adjusting it. Surely no grain would be under 1.5mm

Might try conditioning my grain and bring it back to .059 that 1.5mm so I don't have to keep adjusting it. Surely no grain would be under 1.5mm
We need MHB to come in here, I know enough to know that I know Jack shit, it's not just the size of the grain per se there's all sorts of variables that come into it, I believe "friability" is one, amongst a host of others. I do know that even with a particular malted barley (never mind all the other grains used) from the same supplier the gap needs to vary from year to year, batch to batch. A comment I come across frequently is "mind the gap" Wish I had an easy answer but as I said, in my case it's little test millings and a best guess by eyeball. Repeatability? Oh how I wish.

Back