Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Guys i need a mill and i want a vally mill or barlymill. I was going to get mine through Northern Districts Brewing Supplies
as they will import the barly crusher mill. The problem is they are waiting now 10 weeks and i cant wait much longer.

Should i wait to find out there price, or go direct? the problem is i could also cop the 10 weeks delivery. But i assume Gerard is ordering a lot hence customs are the problem. I will only buy one.

It's a long wait for any gadget coming surface mail from overseas. I like my Valley mill but I was recently looking at the BC with the big hopper and telling myself how I could do with a second mill :).

cheers
reg

What's the BC?
Just about to order a valley , but if there is a better mill tell me

I'm very happy with my single roller mill from ESB. It is small, it isn't pretty, but it suits my purposes perfectly and it sems to give as good a crush as a dual roller mill. I got it the day I paid for it.

Seems like and endless topic on what is the best mill etc ... personally I have a Porkert mill, hopper holds about 1kg.

Reasons:

1) Price: $115 (lot cheaper than others from what I have read)
2) Availability: In stock at my HBS.

Nice solid mill doubt it could break, crushes/grinds nice as far as I can tell, since i built myself a decent mash tun for $30 I have no problems with stuck sparges etc and the efficiency seems to be good 75%+.

I'm sure other people will prefer other mills but I have been happy with this on to date.

Batz bc = barley crusher it seeems simailar to the valley and is just as popular and gmk uses on so ask him what it is like

OK
Use a Porkett mill at present

OK
Did a search and found it , no I like the look of the valley mill better
I will attach a motor to mine so hopper size is not really an issue
:ph34r:
:chug:

My mill is giving me about 83% efficiency at the moment, with a simple two batch sparge.

I am not so worried about the brand (if i order it from Over seas its going to be the vally) or local the BC.

problem is when i can get the little bugger. I might just go ahead and order one from the US. I'v waited 10weeks for the BC to be stocked

Folks,

Whilst trawling around for info on mills, I found an interesting article on Bodensatz Brewing that reviews grain mills here.

Cheers,

TL

The one I have is very similar to the PhilMill 1. It is interesting that they rate it better than the PhilMill 2, most people claim the opposite.

Pardon my ignorance guys, but is there a direct relationship between the grind in the mill and the extraction efficiency of the mash?

I have a Gaggia coffee grinder at home. It has a variable courseness setting - could I use it to grind up the grains, or would I be trashing the grains? :blink:

What about a rolling pin on a wooden block or pestle & mortar? Any ideas on whether either of these might work in lieu of an expensive mill?

Cheers,

TL

Definite no to the first, strong recommendations against the second. The coffee grinder will give you a whole heap of flour with finely torn up husks, even at a coarse setting.

The rolling pin method works, but be prepared to see a whole day out crushing, with very sore muscles to go with it.

The great Grain and Grape in Victoria used a coffee mill for years - an amazing story I only became aware of when they replaced it with a grain mill.

cheers
reg

Back