Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidk

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can source a good heavy duty grain mill in Australia? I can only find US ones on the web, and it will take months to get something across from there now its Christmas.

I am happy to contract another home brewer to build one, as long as they are less mechanically challenged than I am. I am based in Brisbane.

Cheers

You could PM Gerard.M, here on this list. He's the Aust Dist for Barley Crusher. Dunno if he has one in stock at the moment though.

Sorry guys
We gave up on importing Barley Crusher Mills as it is too easy to get one direct from the USA. Air freight a BC Mill it will be here before Xmas.
Cheers
Gerard
www.ndbrewing.com.au

i have a base model crankandstein which cost $69US + $27 for surface delivered to my door. It took 2 weeks to arrive. Luck of the draw with timing for freight on surface, unless you pay a premium for a faster service. Then yes you would get it b4 xmas.

Barley Crusher quoted $105US plus $31 for freight via surface(or $59US for airmail). Barley Crusher prefer not to send stuff via surface anyway(blaming 911 like everything), but they will if you insist.

For the crankandstein you need to knock up a hopper and base yourself, but this proved easy for me as a technically challenged desk jockey.

The base crankandstein 2S crushes very well, but not easily adjustable(bushes are offset and need to push them out, turn em and put them back in) as opposed to the BC and Valley Mill. But after 1/2 doz batches with the crankandstein with a variety of grain bills i haven't changed settings.

The local alternative is a Margo Mulino - Grumpys sell them and there are plenty of past discussions on how to adjust them for AG crushing. They are much cheaper and plenty of AHB'ers are happy with them

I heard the cost of the margos jumped once they started to become popular???

I think the Grumpy's sell em for about $165 modified - which isn't too bad considering that most of the US sites seem to sell them now for US$95 - plus Grumpy's take the time to drill the hole(s) etc to get them ready to crush grain correctly.

I just lucked onto one for $45. Right place at the right time sort of stuff, (I wasn't even in the market for one), but the shop had sold one to someone to make flour for bread. They had used it once and brought it back becuase it didn't crush the grain enough. !!!! One mans trash is another mans treasure...

because it had been used once the shop just wanted to get rid of it so sold it for $45. Bargain - that sort of luck doesn't happen often though.

cheers

Latest posts

Back