Grain Mill Roller Gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
is there a generally agreed on grain mill roller gap setting?
the more i read on the subject the more varying gap settings i come up with.
any thoughts on the subject?

cheers
big d

i have never actually measured.
i just adjusted it untill i got the best crack.

cheers
no help jayse.

I remember reading on OCB that a 0.9 mm gap seemed to be the general start point,with barley malt doing one pass and wheat malt doing two passes. Then adjusting from there.

Hope it helps

cheers fellas
huge response ha ha ha :D

cheers
big d

I have a valley mill.

For wheat I have the rollers at minimum gap.
For other malts I have it one or two settings back from minimum gap dependant on the thickness of the grain.

As for the measurements of the gap, I don't have any feeler gauges.

Beers,
Doc

thanx doc
just out of curiosity with your posting and linzs is wheat grain harder to crush?
havent tried my mill yet only got it yesterday and us far far northern brewers have a huge costly problem getting grain.

cheers
big d :)

Good one big d , I am still waiting for mine :blink:

hope ya get it before xmas batz.it will be a great xmas pressy.thats what mine was anyway.

That's what mine is as well!
:D

now that ive got it im hanging out for grain.a few phone calls will be the go tomorrow.

Tried grumpys , if you order in 1Kg lots it's free freight , I recieved 11 Kg of assorted grain today

im in negotiations with grumpy dave and a few freight companies trying to sort freight costs on 100kg of grain to my side of the moon.well it appears that is where i live when talking freight to freight companies.

Good luck with it
You get my email?
If not ...thanks

sure did batz
xmas comes early to those who wait. ;)

Batz and Big D. How much was your Barley Crusher, assuming from that NSW brewshop that I forget the name of. Can you let me know what you got it for and how much. In the market for one.

Cheers.

JD

Mine is a Valley Mill from the US , about $245 landed here

mine was delivered within the week for $260 + freight to melbourne ($20) its more than what you can import it for but hey they guys gotta make money and you svae weeks of waiting so its not so bad!

I used the mill yesterday for a full brew and it worked well

(do as GMK tells you and seal the base of the BC, it give it strengh, looks better and water spils wont stain it then, also easyer to clean!)

Wheat grain is smaller and harder than barley grain.
Hence the smaller gap.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks fellas. Anyone used a crank and stein? Say a 2A or similar?
$245 is not bad landed, no is $260 for a week wait. Nice score.

Cheers JD

Back