Grain Mill Purchase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrogster

Reaction score
I'm presently looking into buying a grain mill, and I'm leaning towards importing either a crankandstein or a barleycrusher from the states. Is anyone out there interested in putting together a combined order for several units in order to save on freight costs and negotiate a cheaper unit price from the manufacturers.

I'm situated in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Cheers,

Scrogster.

You can make one for about 1/5th the price, if you were so inclined.

Dunkel_Boy said:
You can make one for about 1/5th the price, if you were so inclined.
[post="52677"][/post]​

Dunkel_Boy do you have any instructions/pics to show how it's done.Thanks.

scrogster said:
I'm presently looking into buying a grain mill, and I'm leaning towards importing either a crankandstein or a barleycrusher from the states. [snip]
Cheers,
Scrogster.
[post="52676"][/post]​

Scrogster,
Before you splash some money on a cranker or BC, you might want to consider a Marga Mulino mill. I've used one and I've never had less than 80% efficiency according to Promash and I batch sparge. They're available in Australia, if you search for them - grumpys used to sell them - that's where I got mine and it cost me less than $100 delivered.

It's a triple roller mill that is adjustable and IMHO is just as good as something costing twice as much from the US... B)

Cheers,
TL

TL - i don't think they are this cheap anymore. Last one i saw in a shop was going for $199.

Hey that sounds good.
I was going to make one soon, a single roller with a wooden + stainless steel crush plate. Simple to adjust. The roller was going to be heavily-knurled mild steel, probably 80mm, coated in POR-15, a rust-preventing etchant. Would just run on sleeve bearings (perhaps rollers) and be drill-driven. 1/2"-1" plywood construction, with a stragetically-placed hopper. Hopefully be around the $60 mark, but this other mill looks bloody good... lot less effort!
It was goign to be based on this design
http://brewery.org/brewery/library/woodmill.html
Just using mild steel (with a rust preventative, it ends up cheaper and a lot easier) and some stainless instead of brass, since brass contains lead.

jgriffin said:
TL - i don't think they are this cheap anymore. Last one i saw in a shop was going for $199.
[post="52685"][/post]​

Wow :blink: - that's bloody expensive!

The one that Grumpy's sold was modified in that the hopper had an enlarged mouth, and they had hole punched an extra setting for optimum crush of malted barley and they provided a drill bit so you could hook up the drill to the mill.

Even if you found one at a kitchen supplier or foodie warehouse, it would be bugger all work to modify it and turn it into a damn good malt mill. It's even been done before and you can see the photos of a mill conversion in the gallery online!

Cheers,
TL

Modification is another option, I guess.
Anything that will crack the grain keeping the husks intact, but still break up the endosperm enough, you've got yourself a suitable mill!!

Yep, as can be seen by typing Marga Mill into the search feature, I am also the proud owner of this mill. Took me a little bit of stuffing about to get it right but now am completely satisfied. Cost $79 including freight to Newcastle from Bake 'n Brew in Gawler SA in September/October last year. I've looked at the BC's and Crankensteins and they are definitely better mills. For the money and convenience of buying in Aus rather than importing though I reckon the Marga's are pretty good. Depends on how keen you are I guess and how much you want to spend. If I'd had more cash I think I'd have gone the BC simply 'cause it comes ready to go. The Crankensteins look the best h'ber mills of the lot, but you'll need to sort out a hopper and a base - not any trouble at all, but if you're lazy...

$0.02

Shawn.

jgriffin said:
[post="52685"][/post]​

A homebrew shop or a kitchen shop?

About a month ago Grumpys were selling the Marga, fully modified for $160

I just bought one 2nd hand, still in the box for $80 delivered Brizzy = arrived 2 days ago :D :D

Hmmm.
I think I'll go with my homemade mill, although I'm lucky to have a metal lathe. :D

I might as well add my remarks regarding the Marga Mulino. I also bought mine from Bake' and Brew. $79.00 delivered to my door in brisbane the same time as Gought bought his.

I had no problem doing the mods and so far I am happy with the crush.

Cheers,
Keep on Brrewin' :chug:

OK I ve been on to the importers of the marga mills first the are none in Sydney bake and brew have none either mid may before the importes get them and just to top that of 15% price increase yeah ha love that so the cheapest Ive found was bake & brew $94.95(11.85 postage to sydney)thats without the increase (i think) so $109.25

compared to $70US + $30US = $130AU for the CGM-2S cranknstein but dont quote me on the postage Iam waiting on a return email on that one

Has any one got one these 2s crainknstein if so what are they like I see its had to adjust do u really need that ???

sintax

I'll chip in on the Marga recommendation, with a few extra holes in the adjustment knob to make it more adjustable and a bigger hopper they are pretty good. Here's mine in action and the crush I get from it.
sml_IMG2873.JPG
The hopper holds about 6kg of grain and I crushed it in about 5 minutes with a single pass. I find it works best running it at a reasonably slow speed, I'm using a two speed drill and run it at about 1/2 of the low setting which is 640rpm so approx 300 rpm.
mdm_2877.JPG
This is the crush I am geting from it, I'm pretty happy. The hopper has a full width opening across it, I'll take some pictures of it if anyone wants to see it in more detail. The drive shaft is just the tang section of a cheapy screwdriver, the sides of the mill are filled in with acrylic off cuts from the hopper.

Cheers

Ausdb

ausdb said:
This is the crush I am geting from it, I'm pretty happy. The hopper has a full width opening across it, I'll take some pictures of it if anyone wants to see it in more detail. The drive shaft is just the tang section of a cheapy screwdriver, the sides of the mill are filled in with acrylic off cuts from the hopper.

[post="52723"][/post]​

Ausdb,

yes please post some pics of the hopper mod - the marga i bought has the milling adjustment modified but not the hopper - any help from anyone in this department would be appreciated, as mechanical engineering isn't one of my hot points...

I can't let a thread go by without posting the pic of my Jarrah mill:

MillEndView.jpg

Specs:
roller dia: 63mm
roller length: 360mm
roller material: jarrah
frame: aluminium
bearings: sealed ball bearings
throughput: 2kg/min hand cranked
adjustment: continuous: -0.5mm to 2.0mm
direct drive

And to all the people who were punting on the jarrah wearing out, cough up whenever you are ready to concede.

http://brewiki.org/RollerMill

sintax69 said:
compared to $70US + $30US = $130AU for the CGM-2S cranknstein but dont quote me on the postage Iam waiting on a return email on that one

Has any one got one these 2s crainknstein if so what are they like I see its had to adjust do u really need that ???

sintax
[post="52722"][/post]​
Hi Sintax,
I have a crankandstein 2s. I haven't bothered adjusting it and gives an excellent crush. You can adjust them, but it isn't something you can do on the fly in the middle of a crush. Personally for the money the 2s was a top buy, and crushes 5kg's in only a few minutes. If you are on a tight budget and will be using the mill a fair bit then the 2s is the way to go IMHO.

Cheers
Roach

Hi Sintax, I have a 2D which I adjusted when I first used it, ended up putting it back on the factory setting where it has stayed for the 3 brews it has been used with.

Ross said:
yes please post some pics of the hopper mod - the marga i bought has the milling adjustment modified but not the hopper - any help from anyone in this department would be appreciated, as mechanical engineering isn't one of my hot points...
[post="52734"][/post]​

I'll take some pics tonight, basically I got rid of the factory hopper completely

Ausdb

Back