Grain Mill Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusher

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am in the process of building a grain mill & I have been given 2 knurled rollers off a mate. The problem is they are steel. What are your opinions on using steel rollers in a mill. Any replies appreciated. By the way it works a treat. Crusher

DSCF5679.JPG

steel is no probs. just keep them dry - otherwise they will rust. most standard grain mills you buy off the shelf are not stainless anyway.

Steel is great. If you consider all the machinery that has handled the malt before it gets to you, I reckon hardly any of it would be stainless (but I could be wrong).

The instructions that came with the barley crusher suggest if the mill has been stored for a while, run half a pound of grain through and discard this. After crushing, use a clean paintbrush to remove the flour. Lube the bearings every six months with vegetable oil.

Have fun with your mill crusher.

As has been hinted before - keep the water away because the steel will rust like a *******! Otherwise, have fun!

Cheers,
TL

Thanks for the replies fellas, it was that I was only seeing stainless rollers in the forum pics that got me worried. I'm happy now
thanks Crusher

pint of lager said:
Have fun with your mill crusher.
And here I was thinking it was a grain crusher!!!!! ;) <_<

Crusher how do you adjust your rollers or are they preset ?
Pumpy

Pumpy,
At the moment it is fixed. I was only given the rollers yesterday afternoon & I was like a bull at a gate when I got home to see if it worked,so I knocked up the frame & handle last night just to see if it worked. The gap is 1mm at the moment but my mate who is a fitter & machiner is going to sort out some adjusters for it
Crusher.

Crusher the main thing is it works It will be great to buy whole grain and crush it when yo want pumpy

Latest posts

Back