Grain Mill Maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
What sort of maintenance, if any, do people do on their barley crusher/ grain mill/crankandstein??. I have just recieved one, and, after a test run, notice a bit of grain stuck to the rollers. No big deal, i just brushed them off. Does anyone really go over the top to clean it after each use, or, do you just shove it back in the brew cupboard??? ;)

I have a barley crusher, I will brush it down after every use and occasionaly (once in a year maybe) regrease the bushes. Minimal maintenance really.
Seems to be going fine, ive done about 35 brews (10kg grain bill) with it, with no real signs of wear.

Cheers.

same as big al and oil the bushes with light grade oil.dust off then wrapped up to keep out cockroaches/mice etc.

cheers
big d

also make sure you keep the rollers dry as most mills are made from mild steel and will rust if wet.

In SA the climate is generally low humidity and so you could leave the flour on the rollers, as long as you brew reasonably regularly.
In areas of high humidity and if you have mild steel rollers it would be better if you used a protector or spray the rollers after use with a moisture dispersant.

This would apply to Vlad and others who choose to "wet" their grain as it goes through the mill.

I had an email when I got my mill from Fred Francis at Crankandstein and he said as long as you use it regularly you wont have any probs.
The only ones he has seen that have deteriorated is ones that have not been used regularly and once again, only the mild steel ones.
When you consider all the facts, you would have to be using your mill on the beach to cause massive deteriation of the rollers and as others have said, if you lubricate the bushes/bearings and have a good method of driving the rollers without causing side loading on the shafts then any mill should give the home brewer many years of service.

Cheers

You crush your grain your way and I'll crush mine my way.

Hi Vlad,

Sorry, I misunderstood your above post.

There is some guys who wet their grain slightly before crushing it in the mill.
I tried it once with my Marga Mill and it did seem to preserve the husks from tearing or shredding as much with that mills smaller rollers.
I didnt bother to continue as it was just another chore as far as I was concerned.

Cheers :D :chug:

Back