Grain Mill Attached To Brew Rig : Good Or Bad Idea ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
is there any reason i should not attach my grain mill to my yet to be built brew rig (3v herms)

likley to be set up left to right GM-> HLT -> mash -> boiler

apart from issues like moisture near the mill wen cleaning is there a brew issue ,would be no chilling at this stage
thought i read somewhere about grain dust issue and possible contaminating boil or post boil ?

was thinking if it's attached then it's a one mobile unit including the mill to roll out for brewday

thanks

The theory goes that lacto bugs are common living on grain. Run that grain through a mill and you'll get dust... Dust with lacto on it. So try and keep it away from any of your cold side stuff.

I mill about 2 metres from where I chill and then ferment. Probably should do better than this but it works for me.

I just attached mine, I brew and store it outside away from cold side but hadnt considered that as an issue.
It's definitely more convenient for me, I can go grain to bucket to mill to bucket to tun to bucket to kettle to cube, little production line. Need to attach some grain silos next. 8)

Latest posts

Back