Grain Mill Attached To Brew Rig : Good Or Bad Idea ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
is there any reason i should not attach my grain mill to my yet to be built brew rig (3v herms)

likley to be set up left to right GM-> HLT -> mash -> boiler

apart from issues like moisture near the mill wen cleaning is there a brew issue ,would be no chilling at this stage
thought i read somewhere about grain dust issue and possible contaminating boil or post boil ?

was thinking if it's attached then it's a one mobile unit including the mill to roll out for brewday

thanks

The theory goes that lacto bugs are common living on grain. Run that grain through a mill and you'll get dust... Dust with lacto on it. So try and keep it away from any of your cold side stuff.

I mill about 2 metres from where I chill and then ferment. Probably should do better than this but it works for me.

I just attached mine, I brew and store it outside away from cold side but hadnt considered that as an issue.
It's definitely more convenient for me, I can go grain to bucket to mill to bucket to tun to bucket to kettle to cube, little production line. Need to attach some grain silos next. 8)

Back